Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
- The Airport Authority of India has allotted space at Ahmedabad, Udaipur and Kolkata airports for opening of Tribes India outlets.
- TRIFED has been offered spaces at International Airports at Dehradun, Varanasi, Pune, Goa, Coimbatore, Lucknow, Amritsar and Gangtok for setting up of Tribes India Outlets.
- TRIFED has established a network of 89 Outlets i.e. 42 own Sales outlets, 33 outlets on consignment sale and 14 franchise outlets located across the country.
Tribal Artisan Mela (TAM):
- TAMs are organized by TRIFED with a view to identify new artisans and new products at the sourcing level in States/Districts/Villages for expanding the tribal producers’ base.
- Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Limited (TRIFED) is a national-level apex organization functioning, since 1987, under the administrative control of Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Government of India, striving to promote the economic development of the Tribal communities of the country through marketing development and sustained up gradation of their skills and products.
- The approach involves capacity building, imparting need-based trainings, and exploring marketing possibilities for products in national as well as international markets, brand building & creating opportunities for marketing on sustainable basis.
- TRIFED’s sole objective is to bring about a multi-dimensional transformation of the tribal society and a shift in the perception of their existing image.
NITI Aayog launches 5 Thematic Reports on Sustainable Development in Indian Himalayan Region
- NITI Aayog had set up 5 Working Groups (WGs) to prepare a roadmap for actions in 5 thematic areas.
- The themes include:
- Inventory and Revival of Springs in Himalayas for Water Security,
- Sustainable Tourism in Indian Himalayan Region,
- Transformative Approach to Shifting Cultivation,
- Strengthening Skill & Entrepreneurship Landscape in Himalayas and
- The call for actions include setting up of a Himalayan Authority for coordinated and holistic development of entire Himalayan region and launching of “Himalaya Calling”: An Awareness to Action Campaign as people’s movement.
- Setting up of Mission on Spring Water Management in Himalayas,
- National Mission/Program on Transforming Shifting Cultivation in North Eastern States,
- Demand driven network of skill and entrepreneurship development Centres in Himalayan States, Consortium of institutions of high learning for mountain specific research and technology,
- Link with Hindukush Himalaya Monitoring and Assessment program (HIMAP) and
- Setting up Central Data Management Agency for Himalayan Database at GB Pant National Institute of Himalayan Environment and Development.
Rashtriya Poshan Maah (National Nutrition Month)
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development, Government of India organized an orientation workshop for various stakeholders participating in the Poshan Maah (National Nutrition Month) being celebrated in the month of September.
- The primary objective of the celebration of Poshan Maah is to take the messages of POSHAN to the grass root level.
- ‘Poshan pledge’ was administered to all the participants by Dr. Rajiv Kumar, Vice-Chairman, NITI aayog.
- The programme– an initiative of WCD Ministry and NITI Aayog is supported by 18 line Ministries/Departments/Government Organizations. The programme focuses on 8 themes – Antenatal Care, Optimal Breastfeeding (Early & Exclusive), Complementary Feeding, Anemia, Growth Monitoring, Girls-education, diet, right age of Marriage, Hygiene & Sanitation, Food Fortification.
- Various activities are planned for to the month of September which will be celebrated nationwide as Poshan Maah. Activities like- Prabhat Pheri, POSHAN Melas, POSHAN Rallies & Walks, Nukkad Nataks, Yuva Shakti Rallies, School Based Events, Recipe Demonstration, Public Events are planned.
- POSHAN Abhiyaan (National Nutrition Mission) was launched by the Hon’ble Prime Minister on 8th March, 2018 from Jhunjhunu, Rajasthan. The programme through use of technology, a targeted approach and convergence strives to reduce the level of Stunting, Under-nutrition, Anemia and Low Birth Weight in Children, as also, focus on Adolescent Girls, Pregnant Women & Lactating Mothers, thus holistically addressing malnutrition.
- POSHAN Abhiyaan aims to ensure service delivery and interventions by use of technology, behavioural change through convergence and lays-down specific targets to be achieved across different monitoring parameters over the next few years.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.