Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
EX SHINYUU Maitri-2018
Context: The Japanese Air Self Defence Force (JASDF) is in India for a bilateral air exercise SHINYUU Maitri-18 with Indian Air Force from 03-07 Dec 18 at A F Station Agra.
- The theme of the exercise is joint Mobility/Humanitarian Assistance & Disaster Relief (HADR) on Transport aircraft.
- The focus of the exercise is set for the IAF and JASDF crews to undertake Joint Mobility/ HADR operations. Display of heavy loading/ off loading are also planned to be practiced during this exercise.
Address of Union Environment Minister at inauguration of Indian Pavillion at COP-24
Highlights of his speech:
- This pavilion reflects our ambitious and bold actions on climate change. This year the theme of India Pavilion is ‘One World One Sun One Grid’
- He spoke about Green Good Deeds Movement and how India realized that people’s participation is crucial to accomplish our goal and so this campaign was prepared to inspire, encourage and involve each and every individual of our society.
- India is working hard for achieving 175 GW target for installed Renewable Energy capacity by 2022. The effect of increased use of renewable energy is now visible in India. India stands 4th in wind power 5th in renewable power and 5th in solar power installed.
- The 24th meeting of Conference of Parties (COP-24) to United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) began at Katowice, Poland.
- COP-24 is expected to finalise guidelines for implementation of Paris Agreement adopted in 2016.
- COP is the supreme decision-making body of United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). All States that are Parties to UNFCCC are represented at COP.
- At COP, all parties review implementation of Convention and take decisions necessary to promote the effective implementation of Convention and take decisions necessary to promote the effective implementation of Convention.
Government of India and Asian Development Bank Sign $85 Million Loan to Support Odisha Skill Development Project
Context: The Government of India and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a $85 million loan to improve the skill development eco-system in Odisha and establish an advanced skill training center, the World Skill Center (WSC), in the state capital Bhubaneswar.
Importance of the project:
- The project will improve the quality of the State’s TVET(Technical and Vocational Education and Training) programs by making them relevant to industry and demand driven, and will impart advanced occupation-ready skills training aligned with international standards.
- The project will engage Institute of Technical Education Services (ITEES), Singapore, to support Odisha Skill Development Authority in setting-up and operationalizing WSC which would offer internationally bench marked advanced training programs for the working age population of Odisha.
- The project will help over 150,000 people learn skills in priority sectors, including manufacturing, construction and services for formal employment.
Vice President confers National awards for Outstanding Work done towards empowerment of PwDsON ‘International day of Persons with Disabilities
Context: On the occasion of International Day of Persons with Disabilities today, the Vice President of India Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu conferred the National Awards on Individuals, Institutions, Organizations, State/District etc for their outstanding achievements and work done towards empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs).
- The International Day of Persons with Disabilities is observed every year on December 3 to promote the rights and well-being of persons with disabilities in all spheres of society and development.
- The 2018 theme for this day is “Empowering persons with disabilities and ensuring inclusiveness and equality”. It focuses on empowering persons with disabilities for an inclusive, equitable and sustainable development as part of 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) pledges to “leave no one behind”.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.
|The United Nations Framework Convention On Climate Change (UNFCCC)||Asian Development Bank (ADB)|
|Persons With Disability||Sustainable Development Goals|