Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
Watan ko Jano
Context: Union Home Minister meets J&K school children under Youth Exchange Programme ‘Watan ko Jano’
- The programme is sponsored jointly by Ministry of Home Affairs, Central Government (Kashmir Cell) and J&K State Rehabilitation Council Social Welfare Department.
- It aims to give exposure to youth and children of J&K about the cultural and socio-economic development taking place in other parts of country. Youth and children hit by militancy and from weaker sections from J&K are selected for the programme.
Third Edition of the Women Transforming India Awards
Context: The NITI Aayog is organising the Third Edition of the Women Transforming India Awards 2018 and is launching the upgraded portal of the Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP)
- The Women Transforming India Awards were instituted to recognise and celebrate stories of exemplary women from across India.
- This year’s theme is “Women and Entrepreneurship” and fifteen winners have been chosen through an extensive six-month long process to identify fascinating and inspiring stories of women entrepreneurs.
- The Women Entrepreneurship Platform seeks to transform the entrepreneurial ecosystem in the country and shall be a one-stop resource centre for future and budding women entrepreneurs.
About Vijay Diwas:
- Vijay Diwas, also called as Victory Day, is celebrated on every 16th December in India.
- It marks the victory of Indian armed forces over Pakistan in the war of Independence of Bangladesh from Pakistan in 1971.
- At the end of the 1971 war, the Pakistani Army unilaterally surrendered resulting in the independence of East Pakistan, which was called as Bangladesh.
- On this day in 1971, the chief of the Pakistani forces along with 93,000 troops, surrendered to the allied forces consists of Indian Army and Mukti Bahini in Dhaka after they got defeated in the war.
- On the anniversary of Vijay Divas, respect and tributes are paid to the martyrs who laid down their lives for their country.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.
|Bangladesh Liberation War
|Pakistan surrendered to Indian forces in the Indo-Pakistan war
|NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog