Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
National Consumer Day
- National Consumer Day is observed on Dec 24.
- The objective is to highlight the importance of the consumer movement and the need to make every consumer more aware of their rights and responsibilities.
- The theme this year is “Timely Disposal of Consumer Complaints”.
- On this day the Consumer Protection Act, 1986 was enacted. The Act aims to provide consumers with effective safeguards against different types of exploitation, such as defective goods, deficiency in services and unfair trade practices.
- It is a joint Sino-India military exercise
- The exercise included lectures and discussions on various counter terrorism aspects like cordon and search operations, raid on terrorist hideouts, intelligence collection and joint operations.
- The troops shared best practices being followed by both nations in counter terrorism operations in urban and jungle terrain and the exercise provided an opportunity to both the armies for greater understanding and strengthening mutual trust and cooperation.
Government plans to make all meters smart prepaid in 3 years
- Ministry of Power has decided to make all meters smart prepaid in 3 years
- This step is likely to bring revolution in power sector by way of reduction in AT&C losses, better health of DISCOMs, incentivisation of energy conservation, ease of bill payments and doing away with the paper bills.
- Move towards smart meters is a pro poor step as consumers need not pay the whole month’s bill in one go, instead they can pay as per their requirements.
- Manufacturing of smart prepaid meters will also generate skilled employment for the youth.