- Swajal is a community owned drinking water programme for sustained drinking water supply.
- Under the scheme, 90% of the project cost will be taken care by the Government and the remaining 10% of the project cost will be contributed by the community.
- The Operations and management of the project will be taken care by the local villagers.
- Besides ensuring the availability of clean drinking water to every household round the year, the project would also generate employment.
- Union Minister of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Sushri Uma Bharti, launched the Swajal pilot project at Village Bhikampura, Karauli, Rajasthan.
National Science Day 2018
- National Science Day (NSD) is celebrated every year on 28 February.
- Department of Science & Technology (DST) is organizing a function to commemorate NSD
- NSD is celebrated on 28th February to commemorate discovery of the ‘Raman Effect’, which led to Sir C.V. Raman winning the Noble Prize.
- The theme of NSD-2018 is “Science and Technology for a Sustainable Future” National Council for Science & Technology Communication (NCSTC) of DSTis nodal agency to support catalyze and coordinate celebration of the NSD throughoutthe country, particularly in scientific institutions & research laboratories.
- For the year 2017, Dr. Raghbir Singh Khandpur from Punjab has been selected for National Award for Outstanding Efforts in S&T Communication.
21st National Conference on e-Governance
- The Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG), Government of India, along with the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology, Government of India in association with Government of Telangana is organizing the 21st National Conference on e-Governance on February 26- 27, 2018 in Hyderabad, Telangana.
- The theme of the Conference this year is, ‘Technology for accelerating Development’.
- National e-Governance Awards 2018 in 8 categories concerning various aspects of e-Governance comprising of Gold and Silver in each category will be presented.
- The Conference serves as a forum in which the Secretaries, Administrative Reforms and Secretaries, Information Technology of State Governments, IT Managers of the Central Governments, Software Solution providers, industry, etc. participate and interact, exchange opinions, views, discuss issues, problems and also analyze various solution frameworks.
- The Conference is also a forum to showcase best practices, innovative technologies and ICT solutions. The National e-Governance Awards recognise and promote excellence in implementation of e-Governance initiatives taken by various government departments and also initiatives of public sector units and Non- Government Institutions.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.