National Voters Day
- In order to encourage more young voters to take part in the political process, Government of India has decided to celebrate January 25 every year as ‘National Voters’ Day’.
- It started from January 25, 2011.The National Voters’ Day is observed to mark the establishment of the Election Commission on this day in 1950, a day before India became a republic.
- “I urge all the eligible voters, particularly youngsters, to register themselves and strengthen our democracy with their participation. The power of a vote is immense,” Modi tweeted.
Ministry of Road Transport & Highways signs MoU with IL&FS for construction of Zojila tunnel
- A MoU was signed between National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation (NHIDCL) under the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, and M/S IL&FS Transportation Networks Ltd for construction of the 14.150 km long, 2-lane bi-directional Zojila Tunnel in Jammu & Kashmir.
- This would be India’s longest road tunnel and the longest bi-directional tunnel in Asia.
- The tunnel will be an engineering marvel, a first of its kind in such geographical area. It will have all modern technical safety arrangements such as cut and cross ventilation system, two axial fans, fully transverse ventilation system, uninterrupted power supply, CCTV monitoring, variable messaging boards, traffic logging equipment, tunnel radio, emergency telephone system etc.
- The construction of this tunnel will provide all-weather connectivity between Srinagar, Kargil, and Leh and will bring about all-round economic and socio-cultural integration of these regions.
- The project has strategic and socio-economic importance and will be an instrument for the development of the economically backward districts in Jammu & Kashmir.
- This project, along with other ongoing projects like 6.5 km long Z-Morh tunnel at Gagangir would ensure safe, fast and cheap connectivity between the two regions of Kashmir and Ladakh.
- The projects will also increase the employment potential for the local laborers for the project activities. There would be an enormous boost in employment as local businesses get linked to national market and the region is able to receive round the year tourist traffic.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.