Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia visit to India
- The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu has said that India is committed to provide all support to the agricultural sector in Cambodia, which has a great potential. He was interacting with the Prime Minister of Cambodia, Mr. Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo Hun Sen.
- Cambodian Prime Minister’s son Mr. Hun Money was bestowed with the Padma Shri Award, India’s fourth highest civilian honour, by the Indian Government.
List of MoUs/Agreements signed between India and Cambodia
- Cultural Exchange Programme with Cambodia for the year 2018-2022.
- Credit Line Agreement between the EXIM Bank, Government of India and the Government of Cambodia for a Line of Credit to finance the Stung Sva Hab Water Resource Development Project for US$ 36.92 million.
- Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters.
- MoU on Cooperation for Prevention of Human Trafficking.
India is the leading country in coconut production and productivity in the world: Shri Radha Mohan Singh
- Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Shri Radha Mohan Singh said that India is leading in the global coconut production and productivity.
- The Minister said this today on the occasion of the inauguration of the Farmers’ Training Centre cum Regional Office Building of Coconut Development Board in Patna.
- The annual coconut production is 2395 crore from 20.82 lakh hectare and the productivity is 11505 coconuts/hectare.
- Coconut contributes to about Rs.27900 crore to the country’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
- Major coconut growing states are Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka
- The highest productivity of 13,617 nuts/ha is estimated in Andhra Pradesh.
- Coconut Development Board assists the coconut farmers in coconut production, processing, marketing and export of value-added coconut products thereby to make India the global leader in coconut production, productivity, processing, and export.
President launches countrywide Pulse Polio Programme for 2018
- The Hon. President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, launched the Pulse Polio programme for 2018 by administering polio drops to children less than five years old, at the Rahstrapati Bhawan.
- The Hon. President administered the polio drops on the eve of the National Immunization Day.
About pulse polio programme
- Since 1995, India has been implementing the Pulse Polio Immunization Programme.
- On 27 March 2014, India and 7 other Asian countries were declared polio-free by the World Health Organisation (WHO).
- To provide additional protection to children, Government of India has also introduced the injectable Inactivated Polio Vaccine (IPV) into its routine immunization program.
- Universal Immunization Programme (UIP) and Mission Indradhanush are focusing on to protect children from more diseases.
Khelo India School Games (KISG)
- The legendary Indian tradition of ‘teacher-and-student’, referred to as the “Guru-Shishya Parampara” will be celebrated in grand style at the Opening Ceremony of the inaugural Khelo India School Games (KISG) at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium on January 31.
- This is for under 17 age group (boys and girls) across 16 sports disciplines.
- Khelo India aims to inculcate a nationwide culture of sports through a grassroots sports revolution.
- Star sports has bagged the broadcast rights of Khelo India School Games for a period of 5 years.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.