National Elections Quiz 2018
- The National Elections Quiz is organized as part of Election Commission of India’s initiative of ‘Empowering Young and Future Electors’ which was also the theme for the 7th National Voters’ Day (2017).
- Extending from the Intra-School followed by the District and State Level right up to the National Rounds, NEQ involved students from across the country laying claim to being the World’s Largest Inter-School Quiz Contest on Elections.
- Delhi Public School, Ranchi team were declared winners of the National Elections Quiz 2018.
Index of Eight Core Industries
- Coal, Crude Oil, Natural Gas, Refinery Product, Steel, Cement and Electricity are known as Core Industries.
- The Eight Core Industries comprise 40.27 per cent of the weight of items included in the Index of Industrial Production (IIP).
- The combined Index of Eight Core Industries stands at 129.1 in December, 2017, which was 4.0 per cent higher as compared to the index of December, 2016.
Scorpene submarine ‘Karanj’
- It’s a third Scorpene class submarine constructed by Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited for the Indian Navy.
- Karanj is the third of the six Scorpene-class submarinesbeing built by MDL under the Project 75 programme of Indian navy.
- The first one, INS Kalvari, a diesel-electric attack submarine was commissioned by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on December 14 last year. The second one, INS Khandari, was launched on January 12 this year is currently undergoing sea trials.
- Scorpene submarines can undertake multifarious types of missions i.e Anti-Surface warfare, Anti-Submarine warfare, intelligence gathering, mine laying, area surveillance etc.
Ireda and Rumsl Signs Agreement for Large-Scale Solar Parks in Madhya Pradesh
- Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited (IREDA) and Rewa Ultra Mega Solar Limited (RUMSL) signed an agreement today for financing the shared infrastructure of two large Solar Parks in Madhya Pradesh.
- Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE), World Bank & IREDA have been able to work out a proposal to channelize US$ 100 Million for creating common infrastructure for ultra-mega solar parks in India to achieve the 100 GW solar capacity addition target by 2022.
First Revised Estimates of National Income, Consumption Expenditure, Saving and Capital Formation, 2016-17
- It was released by The Central Statistics Office (CSO), Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation.
The salient features of the estimates at aggregate level are indicated below:
- Nominal GDP or GDP at current prices for the year 2016-17 is estimated as Rs. 152.54 lakh crore.
- Real GDP or GDP at constant (2011-12) prices for the years 2016-17 stands at Rs. 121.96 lakh crore.
- Nominal Net National Income (NNI) at current prices for the year 2016-17 stands at Rs. 134.9 lakh crore as against Rs. 121.5 lakh crore in 2015-16, showing an increase of 11.0 per cent during 2016-17.
- Gross National Disposable Income (GNDI) at current prices is estimated as Rs. 154.6 lakh crore for the year 2016-17, while the estimate for the year 2015-16 stands at Rs. 140.2 lakh crore, showing a growth of 10.3 per cent.
- Per Capita Income, i.e., Per Capita Net National Income at current prices, is estimated as Rs. 94,731 and Rs. 1,03,870 respectively for the years 2015-16 and 2016-17.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here