July 12th, 2020 PIB:- Download PDF Here
TABLE OF CONTENTS
NTPC wins prestigious CII-ITC Sustainability Awards 2019.
- NTPC Ltd, a central PSU under the Ministry of Power and India’s largest power generation company, has won the prestigious CII-ITC Sustainability Award 2019, under Outstanding Accomplishment in Corporate Excellence Category.
- CII-ITC Sustainability Awards
- The Sustainability Awards were instituted by the CII-ITC Centre of Excellence for sustainable development in 2006.
- These awards recognize and reward excellence in sustainability practices.
- It is considered to be the most credible platform for sustainability recognition in the country.
- They were instituted for:
- Identifying and recognising exemplary performance in economic, social and environmental dimensions of Indian business.
- Promoting role models in the Indian industry and recognising excellence achieved by businesses in mainstreaming Sustainability with business practices.
- Imparting knowledge by which the Centre builds capacity in Indian businesses to adopt sustainability practices.
For the first time, the Indian Railways loads Special Parcel Train to Bangladesh carrying Dry Chillies from Reddipalem in Guntur District of Andhra Pradesh state.
About Guntur Chillies:
- Guntur and its surrounding areas in the state of Andhra Pradesh are well known for chillies cultivation.
- The quality of this farm produce is internationally renowned for its uniqueness in taste and brand.
- Guntur chillies are exported to Canada, Asia and Europe.
- Guntur district is the main producer and exporter of most varieties of chillies and chilli powder from India to countries like Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Middle East, South Korea, U.K. and USA & Latin America.
- Chillies have various colours and flavours because of the level of Capsaicin in them.
- Guntur chillies form an important part of curries and various popular dishes of Andhra Pradesh.
- The main trading place for Guntur chilli is called Guntur Mirchi Yard which is also Asia’s largest dried red chilli market.
- There are various types of Guntur chilli.
- The Guntur Sannam Chilli is a variety which has the Geographical Indication (GI) Tag.
- Guntur Sannam chilli requires a warm and humid climate for its growth and dry weather during the period of maturation.
- Sannam chilli belongs to the variety of Capsicum annuum.
- This chilli has a thick skin and it is generally long (5 – 15 cm in length).
- Globally, India stands first in the production of chilli and in India, Andhra Pradesh leads in its production. Andhra Pradesh alone commands 46% of the chilli production in India.
INST scientists formulate nanoparticle to reduce the severity of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Scientists from the Institute of Nano Science & Technology (INST), Mohali, an autonomous institute of the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, have formulated nanoparticles with chitosan and loaded these nanoparticles with zinc gluconate for reducing the severity of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that can cause joint pain and damage throughout the human body.
- It is a chronic inflammatory disorder.
- In some people, the condition can damage a wide variety of body systems, including the skin, eyes, lungs, heart and blood vessels, apart from the joints.
- Rheumatoid arthritis occurs when the immune system mistakenly attacks the body’s tissues.
- Unlike the wear-and-tear damage of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis affects the lining of the joints, causing a painful swelling that can eventually result in bone erosion and joint deformity.
- Severe rheumatoid arthritis can cause physical disabilities.
- There is no cure for RA but there are treatments that can help manage it.
- The element Zinc is vital for maintaining normal bone homeostasis, and its levels are reported to get reduced in rheumatoid arthritis patients.
July 12th, 2020 PIB:- Download PDF Here