Swachh Survekshan 2018
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today said that the success and milestones achieved by the Swachh Bharat Mission has been possible due to the efforts and participation by the citizens across the country.
- He said that there is now a perceptible positive change in the mindset of the people towards Swachhata.
- He said that the country is now closer to realize the dream of Clean India by 150thbirth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi in 2019.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi presented awards to the top states, cities and Organizations of the Swachh Survekshan 2018 in Indore today.
- Jharkhand was awarded as the best performing state while Maharashtra and Chhattisgarh bagged 2ndand 3rd
- Indore, Bhopal and Chandigarh emerged as the top 3 cleanest cities of the country while Greater Mumbai was awarded the cleanest capital city in the country.
- The prime minister also released the Swachh Survekshan 2018 Report and launched the Swachh Survekshan – 2018 Results Dash Board.
- The Swachh Survekshan 2018 Dashboard comprises five sections, National Ranking (Cities with population greater than 1 Lakh), Zonal Ranking (Cities with population less than 1 Lakh and ranked zone wise as North, East, South, West and North East), Cantonment Board Ranking (61 Cantt Boards), States Ranking (ranking based on their respective cities performance in SS2018), SS2018 Awards (All Award Categories listing).
President Kovind Delivers Lecture at Havana University
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, delivered a lecture at Havana University in Cuba yesterday (June 22, 2018) on the subject – “India and the Global South”.
- The President said that India and Cuba are playing a stellar role in powering South-South Cooperation and standing up for a stronger voice for the Global South or Developing Countries.
- The President said that the values of South-South Cooperation have stood us in good stead. Mutual respect and solidarity among developing countries form the core of it.
- He also said that the decision of the United Nations for hosting the second High-level United Nations Conference on South-South Cooperation in Buenos Aires in 2019 is a welcome move.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.