Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
Indo-Russian Rifles Pvt. Ltd
PM dedicates the Joint Venture Indo-Russian Rifles Pvt. Ltd. (Kalashnikov Assault Rifle Production facility) to the nation, at Amethi, UP.
- The production of the assault rifles under joint venture between Russia’s Kalashnikov Concern and Ordnance Factory Board (OFB).
- The new joint venture will manufacture world famous Kalashnikov assault rifles of the newest 200 series.
- The joint venture is in response to Request for Information (RFI) for procurement of 650 000 assault rifles of 7.62×39 mm caliber under ‘Make in India’ program.
- The Russian share in the JV as per the provisions of the law is going to be 49.5% with the OFB share being the majority 50.5% of the registered capital.
Construction Technology India (CTI)
Prime Minister inaugurated the Construction Technology India-2019 Expo-cum-Conference in Delhi.
- The conference identifies proven, innovative and globally established technologies for use in the Indian context.
- Technology providers, researchers, start-ups, developers, academia, public sector agencies and other domain experts participated in the event.
- Six cities have been identified to locate Lighthouse projects that will serve as “Live Laboratories”. These are 1. Rajkot (Gujarat) 2. Ranchi (Jharkhand) 3. Indore (Madhya Pradesh) 4. Chennai (Tamil Nadu) 5. Agartala (Tripura) & 6. Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh).
- The ground-breaking of Lighthouse projects is targeted for June, 2019 and ASHA-India (Affordable Sustainable Housing Accelerator) will be working closely with the potential technology entities providing mentorship, training workshops and acceleration guidance to make them market-ready and scalable.
- The Construction Technology India (CTI) will be a biennial event.
- NAREDCO and CREDAI will be taking the lead with the support of Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs in hosting this event.
- This event will become a regular feature in the international event calendar for construction sector where the leading entities in this space across the world would be making their presence here.
‘Centre for Disability Sports’
A ‘Centre for Disability Sports’ will be set up at Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh. It will be registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860, which is to function under the name of Centre for Disability Sports, Gwalior.
- Improved sports infrastructure created by this Centre will ensure effective participation of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) in sports activities and also enable them to compete at national and international levels.
- Setting up of the Centre will develop a sense of belonging in Divyangjan to facilitate their integration in society.
The sports identified for training in the Centre are as under:
- Integrated sports (Indoor) like Badminton, Basketball, Table Tennis, Volleyball, Judo, Taekwondo, Fencing and Rugby;
- Adapted sports (Indoor) like Boccia, Goalball, Football 5 a side, Para Dance Sport and Para Power Lifting;
- Integrated sports (Outdoor) like Athletics, Archery, Football 7 a side and Tennis; and
- Integrated sports (Indoor & Outdoor) – Swimming.
‘National Institute of Mental Health Rehabilitation’
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment laid foundation for ‘National Institute of Mental Health Rehabilitation’ at Sherpur Village, Sehore District, Madhya Pradesh.
- The Institute will promote mental health rehabilitation using an integrated multidisciplinary approach, to undertake capacity building and to involve in developing trained professionals in the area of mental health rehabilitation and help the Government in formulating policy and programs/models for rehabilitation of persons with mental illness.
- It will run various courses starting from certificate course to M.Phil in the area of vocational counselling, care giving, psychiatric nursing, community based rehabilitation, clinical psychology and psychiatric social work etc.
- This Institute will be first of its kind in the country.
Prayagraj Kumbha Mela 2019 makes it to the Guinness World Records
- Prayagraj Kumbh Mela 2019 has been placed in the Guinness World Records in three sectors. It includes largest traffic and crowd management plan, the biggest painting exercise of public sites under paint my city scheme and biggest sanitation and waste disposal mechanism.
Read the previous PIB articles here.