Madhya Pradesh to be declared ODF by October
- The Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh, Shri Shivraj Singh Chouhan has announced that the State will be declared as open defecation free (ODF) by Gandhi Jayanti this year.
- This will mean that the State will become ODF one year before the national timeline of October 2nd, 2019, the 150thbirth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
About Swachh Bharat Misssion
- Apparently in keeping up with the ideals of Gandhi pertaining to cleanliness, Prime Minister Narendra Modi chose October 2, 2014 Gandhi’s birth anniversary, as the day to launch the Swachh Bharat Mission.
- The Prime Minister’s idea and vision of Swachh Bharat epitomizes the “Stench-Free Swaraj” articulated by the Father of the Nation.
- The Mission, which is the Central Government’s largest-ever sanitation programme, has been subdivided into Urban and Rural components.
- The principal resolve of the Mission is to make India open defection free by October 2, 2019- Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary.
Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban)
- Coming to Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban), it is overseen by the Ministry of Urban Development and is mandated to provide sanitation and household toilet facilities in all 4041 statutory towns with a combined population of 377 million.
- The estimated cost is Rs 62,009 crore over five years with the centre slated to assist with Rs 14,623 crore.
- The Mission aims to cover 1.04 crore households, provide 2.5 lakh community toilet seats, 2.6 lakh public toilet seats and set up in all towns solid waste management facilities.
Swachh Bharat Mission (rural)
- The Rural mission, known as Swachh Bharat Gramin, aims to make Village Panchayats free of open defecation by October 2, 2019.
- Removing bottlenecks and addressing critical issues that affect outcomes is the new thrust of this rural sanitation mission, which aims to provide all rural households with individual latrines; and construct cluster and community toilets on public-private partnership mode.
- Considering the squalor and unhygienic conditions in village schools, this programme lays special emphasis on toilets in schools with basic sanitation amenities.
- Construction of Anganwadi toilets and management of solid and liquid waste in all Village Panchayats is the object of the mission.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.