Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
Consumer Price Index Numbers on Base 2012=100
- The Central Statistics Office (CSO), Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation has revised the Base Year of the Consumer Price Index (CPI) from 2010=100 to 2012=100 with effect from the release of indices for the month of January 2015.
Consumer price index
- A Consumer Price Index measures changes in the price level of market basket of consumer goods and services purchased by households.
- The CPI is a statistical estimate constructed using the prices of a sample of representative items whose prices are collected periodically.
- The annual percentage change in a CPI is used as a measure of inflation.
Central Statistics Organisation
- The Central Statistics Organisation (CSO) of India is responsible for coordination of statistical activities in India, and evolving and maintaining statistical standards.
- The CSO is headed by the Director-General who is assisted by Five additional Director-Generals and four Deputy Director-Generals, six Joint Directors, seven special task officers, thirty deputy directors, 48 assistant directors and other supporting staff.
- It has a well-equipped Graphical Unit. The CSO is located in Delhi. Some portion of Industrial Statistics work pertaining to Annual Survey of industries is carried out in Calcutta.
Five FTII Courses Receive AICTE Approval
- In a landmark achievement for Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) Pune, the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) has granted approval to five courses of FTII
- These courses are offered under AICTE’s newly created APPLIED ARTS AND CRAFTS category.
- This approval makes India’s premier film school, FTII, the first and only Institute in this category in the country to receive such recognition.
- This is a historic moment for FTII to have received AICTE approval for all five PG Certificate courses.
India Pavilion to be inaugurated at Cannes
- India Pavilion is set to be inaugurated at Cannes Film Festival.
- The Pavilion will showcase Indian cinema across linguistic, cultural and regional diversity, with the aim of forging international partnerships in distribution, production, filming in India, script development, technology, promoting film sales and syndication.
- It will be set up by Ministry of Information & Broadcasting in association with Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry.
- The Pavilion serves as a platform for the Indian Delegates to meet International Delegates attending the Festival to promote networking with other countries and organizations.
- The Pavilion also serves as an information dissemination point about India and Indian Cinema for the Global Film Community.
DRDO Successfully Conducts Flight Test of ABHYAS
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) conducted successful flight test of ABHYAS – High-speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) from Interim Test Range, Chandipur in Odisha.
- The configuration of ABHYAS is designed on an in-line small gas turbine engine and uses indigenously developed MEMS based navigation system for its navigation and guidance.
- The performance of the system was as per simulations carried out and demonstrated the capability of ABHYAS to meet the mission requirement for a cost effective HEAT.