Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
Context: The Vice President of India Shri. M Venkaiah Naidu said ‘Recognizing one’s merit is part of Indian culture’.while addressing the gathering at the ‘Jashn-E-Youngistan’ event organized by the News 24 Channel in New Delhi .
- This award is a unique initiative by News24 Channel to honour, appreciate and encourage the dynamic young power of the country as it is the youth in whose hands lie the future of a nation.
- Jashn-E-Youngistan honors those promising young stars who have made their mark in their respective fields of achievement.
- The Jashne-E-Youngistan Awards’ aim is to lay the foundation of a New India, an India that is making a worldwide impression.
Mary Kom bags Gold
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has congratulated Mary Kom for winning a Gold in Women’s World Boxing Championship.
- India’s MC Mary Kom won a historic sixth gold in the Women’s World Boxing Championship.
- Mary Kom emerged victorious against Hanna Okhota in an unanimous 5-0 decision in the 48 kg summit clash.
- This is Mary Kom’s second title in front of home crowd after the 2006 win in New Delhi.
- Chungneijang Mary Kom Hmangte (born 1 March 1983), better known as Mary Kom and Magnificent Mary is an Indian Olympic boxer hailing from Manipur.
- She is the only woman to become World Amateur Boxing Champion for a record six times, and the only woman boxer to have won a medal in each one of the seven world championships. Nicknamed Magnificent Mary, she is the only Indian woman boxer to have qualified for the 2012 Summer Olympics, competing in the flyweight (51 kg) category and winning the bronze medal.
- She has also been ranked as No. 4 AIBA World Women’s Ranking Flyweight category. She became the first Indian woman boxer to get a Gold Medal in the Asian Games in 2014 in Incheon, South Korea. and is the first Indian Woman Boxer to win Gold at the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
- She is currently world champion in 48kg.
- On 26 April 2016, Kom was nominated by the President of India as a member of the Rajya Sabha the upper house of the Indian Parliament .In March 2017, the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India, appointed Mary Kom as national observers for boxing. Mary Kom won the Gold Medal In Asian Boxing Championship.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.