Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
- JIMEX-18 is aimed to enhance interoperability, improve understanding and imbibe the best practices of each other.
- It will comprise a Harbour Phase and a Sea Phase
- The Harbour Phase of the exercise will include professional and social interactions between ship’s crews, sports fixtures and operational planning for the Sea Phase.
- The Sea Phase would include Anti-Submarine Warfare Exercises, VBSS (Visit, Board, Search and Seizure) Drills, Gun Firings, Cross Deck Helo Operations and coordinated operations in Anti-Submarine/ Anti-Air threat scenarios.
- The last edition of JIMEX was conducted in Dec 2013 off Chennai.
- The conduct of JIMEX-18 after five years is indicative of an upswing in the Indo-Japanese defence relations and the continued efforts of both Governments to work closely to enhance safety and security of the global commons in keeping with ‘rule based order’.
- The two navies have been working in close coordination in Anti-Piracy Operations in the Gulf of Aden (GoA) for the past few years.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.