Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
Vice President meets Prime Minister of Portugal
- The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu had a bilateral meeting with the Prime Minister of Portugal, Mr. Antonio Costa, at the EU headquarters.
Highlights of the meeting:
Vice President of India said:
- PM Costa’s successful State Visit to India in January 2017 when he had been honored with the Pravasi Bhartiya Samman Award.
- He also commended PM Costa for his personal commitment to strengthening India-Portugal relations.
- He thanked PM Costa for joining the Committee set up to commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi worldwide.
- He also briefed about the developmental programmes of the Government of India such as “Beti Padhao Beti Bachao” and Clean India and flagship initiatives including the Make-in-India, Digital India and Make-in-India flagship programmes.
- He said that defence, space, infrastructure and startups are areas that offer potential business opportunities.
- He also thanked Portugal for reiterating its support for India’s permanent membership of the UN Security Council.
- He mentioned that India’s inclusion in the UNSC will bolster the credibility and effectiveness of the United Nations.
Prime Minister of Portugal said:
- He was happy with the ongoing positive momentum in the bilateral relations.
- He said that India-Portugal bilateral trade was on the rise and that Portuguese companies were encouraged by the potential of the Indian market.
- He mentioned that Vision-Box, a Portuguese technology company had recently secured a contract from Bengaluru International Airport to facilitate seamless and paperless air travel using facial recognition biometric technologies.
- He also mentioned that Portugal had recently signed a MoU with Goa for a pilot project for water supply and waste water management as part of the Panaji Smart City initiative.
Vice President meets Prime Minister of Greece
- The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu had a bilateral meeting with the Prime Minister of Greece, Mr. Alexis Tsipras, at the EU headquarters.
- Both sides expressed satisfaction with the regular high-level contacts between the two countries and agreed to further strengthen the bilateral ties between the two nations through greater economic and people to people exchanges.
- India and Greece have traditional long-standing ties which go back to antiquity.
Highlights of the meeting:
Prime Minister of Greece said:
- He informed about the economic conditions of Greece and the efforts taken by the government to restore stability to the financial system.
- He commended that the growth of the Indian economy over the last few years has had a positive influence on the global economic situation.
- He encouraged Indian companies to consider investing in Greece, particularly in the port sector.
Speech of the Vice President:
- He thanked Prime Minister Tsipras for inviting India as the “Honored Country” at the Thessaloniki International Fair in 2019.
- He said that India will be represented at the Fair with a strong business delegation.
- He also briefed on India’s economic situation and the efforts being taken by the government to promote inclusive growth through the various developmental programmes and flagship initiatives.
- He thanked Greece for its support for India’s membership to the various export control regimes and for its consistent support for India’s candidature for a permanent seat in a reformed and expanded UN Security Council.
- He also talked about the Greek scholar Demetrios Galanos who had translated, among other texts, the Bhagvad Gita into Greek.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.