Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
PM attends Ashara Mubaraka
- The Prime Minister addressed a huge gathering of Dawoodi Bohra community, at Ashara Mubaraka, the commemoration of the martyrdom of Imam Husain (SA), in Indore.
- Imam always stood against injustice and attained martyrdom for up keeping peace and justice.
- The culture of taking everyone along makes India different from all other countries. “We are proud of our past, we believe in our present and are confident of our bright future”, he added.
- This community has always played a key role in India’s progress and growth story. He expressed hope that community will continue their great work of spreading the strength of India’s culture throughout the world.
- Prime Minister congratulated the people of Indore for taking the mission of Swacchh Bharat forward. He said that ‘Swachhata Hi Sewa’ scheme will be launched tomorrow and urged the citizens to actively participate in this grand Swacchhta mission.
- The government encourages honest businessmen and workers through GST, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code.
- The Ministry of Tourism, Government of India, in collaboration with other Central Ministries, State Governments and Stakeholders is organizing the second edition of “Paryatan Parv”, a nation-wide celebration of Tourism, from the 16th to 27th September, 2018.
Paryatan Parv 2018
- Drawing focus on the benefits of tourism, showcasing the cultural diversity of the country and reinforcing the principle of “Tourism for All”.
- The three components of Paryatan Parv, are:
- Dekho Apna Desh: To encourage Indians to visit their own country.
- Tourism for All: Tourism Events at sites across all States in the country are being organised.
- Tourism & Governance: Iteractive Sessions & Workshops with Stakeholders on varied themes will be organised across the Country
District Disability Rehabilitation Centres to be strengthened
- All multi-storyed government buildings, railway stations, airports and bus stands are being made accessible for Divyangjan with lifts, ramps and escalators under ‘Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan’.
- The Ministry has increased the categories of Divyangjan from 7 to 21.
- Six new scholarships have been started since the year 2015 for the educational upliftment of Divyangjan.
- Five per cent reservation has been provided to them for higher education and four per cent in Government jobs.
- More than 7300ADIP Camps have been organised by the Ministry nationwide, for distribution of assistive devices and equipments to Divyangjan.
- The Ministry has also arranged Cochlear implant surgeries to 1300 hearing impaired children.
Salient features of the District Disability Rehabilitation Centres are:
- 310 districts have been identified and 263 DDRCs have been set up;
- Awareness generation, early intervention and assessment of the need of assistive devices to Divyangjans;
- Therapeutic services such as Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy and Speech Therapy etc. to Divyangjans through rehabilitation professionals; and
- Equipment for rehabilitation services and Cost norms of the Scheme has been revised and enhanced to 2.5 times w.e.f. 01/04/2018.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.