In this article, we shall discuss the list of IPL Winners. Knowledge of previous years IPL winners is important for candidates appearing for various competitive examinations.
The topic of IPL – Indian Premier League and important facts related to it is covered under the General Awareness section of government exams such as Bank exam, RRB Exam, SSC exam, etc.
This article will dive deep into the facts related to IPL such as the formation of Indian Premier League, list of IPL Awards, prize money and IPL Winners list.
Candidates preparing for various government exams can go through the important links for their preparation.
Indian Premier League – Important Facts
- IPL 2021 will be the 14th edition of the league.
- Indian Premier League is a Twenty – 20 Cricket league held in India annually.
- It was founded by the BCCI – Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in 2007 which is responsible for the operation and functioning of the league.
- The first Tournament of Indian Premier League was held in 2008 in India across various parts of the country.
- The tournament is played with 8 teams namely – Rajasthan Royals, Mumbai Indians, Chennai Super Kings, Sunrisers Hyderabad, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Kings XI Punjab, Kolkata Knight Riders, Delhi Capitals.
- The top four teams receive cash prizes at the end of the tournament
Check other topics relevant for government exam preparation:
|Unemployment In India||Famous Books and Authors|
|Idioms & Phrases||Letter Writing Format|
|Prepositions Rules||Governors in India|
|Tenses Rules||Functions Of Bank|
IPL Winners 2021
The tentative months for IPL 2021 are April and May. The 14th edition of Indian Premier League (IPL) is expected to begin on 14th April 2021. The location is expected to be in India this year, unlike Dubai which was the location for IPL 2020 (Due to COVID-19). The list of IPL winners 2021 will be updated post matches.
|IPL 2021 Winners – Key facts|
|IPL 2021 Tournament Date||11th April 2021 [Tentative]|
|IPL 2021 Final Date||5th June 2021 [Tentative]|
|The Venue of IPL 2021 Finals||India [Tentative]|
|Winner of IPL 2021||To be updated|
|Runner UP||To be updated|
IPL Winners 2020
The 2020 Indian Premier League Final was played on 10th November 2020 between the Mumbai Indians and the Delhi Capitals at Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai. It was a Day-Night Twenty20 match, which decided the IPL winner 2020 of the annual Twenty20 tournament in India.
IPL 2020 tournament was originally scheduled to commence on 29 March 2020, but was suspended until 15 April due to the COVID-19 pandemic in India. The officials decide to start the tournament from September 19th 2020.
|IPL 2020 Winners – Key facts|
|IPL 2020 tournament started||September 19th 2020|
|IPL 2020 Final Played on||November 10th 2020|
|The venue of IPL 2020 finals||Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai|
|Winner of IPL 2020||Mumbai Indians|
|Runner UP||Delhi Capitals|
The defending champions, the Mumbai Indians, retained the title of IPL Winners by winning the match by five wickets. This was the fifth IPL title for the Mumbai Indians, having appeared in the finals six times. IPL 2020 was the first IPL final appearance for the Delhi Capitals.
The list of IPL 2020 Awardees for Different Categories are:
- Fairplay Award – Mumbai Indians
- Orange Cap: KL Rahul of Kings XI Punjab
- Purple Cap: Kagiso Rabada of Delhi Capitals
- Most Valuable Player: Jofra Archer of Rajasthan Royals
- Emerging Player: Devdutt Padikkal of Royal Challengers Bangalore
- Game Changer of the Season: KL Rahul of Kings XI Punjab
- Super-Striker of the Season: Kieron Pollard of Mumbai Indians
- Most Sixes in the season: Ishan Kishan of Mumbai Indians
- Powerplayer of the season: Trent Boult of Mumbai Indians
Previous Years IPL Winners List
The table below enlists the winners of the IPL tournament for previous years.
Go through the list of IPL winners from the year 2008 to 2019.
|Previous Years IPL Winners List|
|Year||IPL Winning Team||Captain of Winning Team||IPL Runner-up|
|2019||Mumbai Indians||Rohit Sharma||Chennai Super Kings|
|2018||Chennai Super Kings||M S Dhoni||Sunrisers Hyderabad|
|2017||Mumbai Indians||Rohit Sharma||Rising Pune Supergiant|
|2016||Sunrisers Hyderabad||David Warner||Royal Challengers Bangalore|
|2015||Mumbai Indians||Rohit Sharma||Chennai Super Kings|
|2014||Kolkata Knight Riders||Gautam Gambhir||Kings XI Punjab|
|2013||Mumbai Indians||Rohit Sharma||Chennai Super Kings|
|2012||Kolkata Knight Riders||Gautam Gambhir||Chennai Super Kings|
|2011||Chennai Super Kings||M S Dhoni||Royal Challengers Bangalore|
|2010||Chennai Super Kings||M S Dhoni||Mumbai Indians|
|2009||Deccan Chargers||Adam Gilchrist||Royal Challengers Bangalore|
|2008||Rajasthan Royals||Shane Warne||Chennai Super Kings|
IPL – Sample Questions On General Awareness
Aspirants of various competitive or government exams do encounter 1 or 2 questions based on IPL in the General Awareness Section of these exams. The types of questions related to this topic are given for reference.
Q.1. Which Team has won the maximum IPL Titles?
- Deccan Chargers
- Kolkata Knight Riders
- Mumbai Indians
- Rajasthan Royals
Answer (3) Mumbai Indians
Q.2. Which Player hit the maximum number of Sixes in IPL 2019?
- Andre Russell
- Chris Gayle
- Virat Kohli
- Rohit Sharma
Answer (1) Andre Russell
Q.3. Who is the leading wicket-taker in the Indian Premier League?
- Jasprit Bumrah
- Lasith Malinga
- Imran Tahir
- Dwayne Bravo
Answer (2) Lasith Malinga
Q.4. Who among the following is the highest run-scorer in the IPL 2019?
- Kane Williamson
- Virat Kohli
- Michael Hussey
- David Warner
Answer (4) David Warner
Q.5. Which team has been the maximum time runner up in IPL history?
- Rajasthan Royals
- Chennai Super Kings
- Kolkata Knight Riders
- Kings XI Punjab
Answer (2) Chennai Super Kings
Candidates encounter such types of MCQ questions in the general awareness section. Therefore, it is imperative to go through and download the list of IPL Winners between 2008 and 2019.
For detailed syllabus of other sections covered in government exams, check the syllabus page of these exams.
IPL Winners List – Player Awards
Take a look at the list of awards given away in the IPL Tournament based on players’ performances.
The complete list of IPL awards for best performances includes the following categories:
- Orange Cap – To the leading run-scorer in IPL – Shaun Marsh became the first winner of the award. In the 2019 IPL David Warner won the Orange Cap IPL Award, and in IPL 2020, K L Rahul won the Orange Cap.
- Purple Cap – To the leading wicket-taker in IPL – Sohail Tanveer was the first awardee of Purple Cap. In IPL 2019, Imran Tahir won this award. In IPL 2020, Kagiso Rabada won the Purple Cap.
- Maximum Sixes Awards – To the batsman who hits the most sixes in IPL. 1st receiver of this award was Sanath Jayasuriya and in IPL 2019 Andre Russell won the Maximum Sixes Award. Ishan Kishan won the Maximum Sixes Award in IPL 2020.
- Most Valuable Player – Till 2012 it was called ‘Man of the Tournament’. Shane Watson was the first recipient of this award in 2008 IPL. In 2019, Andre Russell was felicitated with the Most Valuable Player of the Tournament Award. Jofra Archer won the award of Most Valuable Player in IPL 2020.
- Emerging Player of the Year – It was presented as “best under-19 player” in 2008, and “best under-23 player” and “Under-23 Success of the Tournament” in 2009 and 2010 respectively. The award was known as “Rising Star of the Year”, in 2011-12, and “Best Young Player of the Season” in 2013. Since 2014, the award has been called the “Emerging Player of the Year.” The first player to receive this award was Shreevats Goswami in 2008, In IPL 2019, Shubham Gill won this award. Devdutt Padikkal won the award for Emerging Player of the Year in IPL 2020.
Given below is the complete list of IPL Awards (categories) with its 1st recipient and the latest winners:
|IPL Awards List (Categories & Winners)|
|Awards||1st Recipient (2008)||Latest Recipient (2020)|
|Man of the Match (Final)||Yusuf Pathan||Trent Boult (MI)|
|Orange Cap (Most Runs)||Shaun Marsh (KXIP)||KL Rahul (KXIP)|
|Purple Cap (Most Wickets)||Sohail Tanveer (RR)||Kagiso Rabada (DC)|
|Emerging Player (future star of International Cricket)||Shreevats Goswami (RCB)||Devdutt Padikkal (RCB)|
|Stylish Player||–||KL Rahul (KXIP)|
|Perfect Catch||–||Faf Du Plessis (CSK)|
|Super Striker||–||Kieron Pollard (MI)|
|Most Valuable Player (earning more points in the whole season)||Shane Watson (RR)||Jofra Archer (RR)|
|Fair play Award (best spirit of the game throughout the season)||Chennai Super Kings||Mumbai Indians|
|Gamechanger of the Match||–||KL Rahul (KXIP)|
Candidates can check the following for relevant information:
Candidates preparing for the upcoming government exams must carefully go through the list of IPL Winners to ace the General Awareness Section easily.
Also, check Previous Year Question Papers with solution PDF to understand the type of questions asked in the general awareness section of these examinations.