Cricket is no less than any festival celebrated in India. The Twenty 20 matches have received much love as any one-day match of 50 overs. What started as an ambitious project 15 years ago, is now considered the best Twenty 20 league in the world. Recently, the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2022, was concluded and hence the IPL becomes an important topic for various Government exams.
IPL questions are asked in many defence exams, including CDS, NDA and AFCAT. Knowledge of previous years’ IPL winners is also important for candidates appearing for various competitive examinations. The topic of IPL – Indian Premier League and important facts related to it is covered under the General Awareness section of government exams such as the Bank exam, RRB Exam, SSC exam, etc.
This article will dive deep into the facts related to IPL such as the formation of the Indian Premier League, the list of IPL Awards, prize money and the IPL Cup Winners list.
IPL Winners List from 2008 to 2023 PDF can be downloaded by clicking the following button:
List of IPL Winners PDF:-Download PDF Here
Candidates preparing for various government exams can go through the important links for their preparation.
|Daily Current Affairs||Free Mock Tests PDFs (Solutions)|
|Static GK||Daily News|
Indian Premier League – Important Facts
- Indian Premier League is a Twenty – 20 Cricket league held in India annually.
- It was founded by the BCCI – Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in 2007, following India’s success at the 2007 T20 World Cup, which is responsible for the operation and functioning of the league.
- The first Tournament of the Indian Premier League was held in 2008 in India across various parts of the country.
- The tournament is played with ten teams namely – Rajasthan Royals, Mumbai Indians, Chennai Super Kings, Sunrisers Hyderabad, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Punjab Kings, Kolkata Knight Riders, Delhi Capitals, Gujrat Titans and Lucknow Super Giants.
- The top four teams receive cash prizes at the end of the tournament. Half of the prize money must be divided among the players, according to IPL regulations.
- The most successful IPL team is Mumbai Indians, who have five victories to their name and one runner-up position.
- The other team with four IPL championships is Chennai Super Kings, who have also placed second once.
Check the IPL winning teams list and runners-up in the following table:
IPL Cup Winners and Runners List: 2008- 2022 Year Winner Runner up Venue 2022 Gujarat Titians Rajasthan Royals Ahmedabad 2021 Chennai Super Kings Kolkata Knight Riders Dubai 2020 Mumbai Indians Delhi Capitals Dubai 2019 Mumbai Indians Chennai Super Kings Hyderabad 2018 Chennai Super Kings Sunrisers Hyderabad Mumbai 2017 Mumbai Indians Rising Pune Supergiants Hyderabad 2016 Sunrisers Hyderabad Royal Challengers Bangalore Bangalore 2015 Mumbai Indians Chennai Super Kings Kolkata 2014 Kolkata Knight Riders Kings XI Punjab Bangalore 2013 Mumbai Indians Chennai Super Kings Kolkata 2012 Kolkata Knight Riders Chennai Super Kings Chennai 2011 Chennai Super Kings Royal Challengers Bangalore Chennai 2010 Chennai Super Kings Mumbai Indians Mumbai 2009 Deccan Chargers Royal Challengers Bangalore Johannesburg 2008 Rajasthan Royals Chennai Super Kings Mumbai
Check other topics relevant to government exam preparation:
|Unemployment In India||Famous Books and Authors|
|Idioms & Phrases||Letter Writing Format|
|Prepositions Rules||Governors in India|
|Tenses Rules||Functions Of Bank|
IPL Winners 2022
- The IPL 2022 was the fifteenth season of the Indian Premier League (IPL).
- The tournament took place between 26th March 2022 and 29th May 2022.
- The matches during the group stage of the competition were held in Mumbai and Pune, both in the state of Maharashtra.
- With the inclusion of two new franchises during the season, the league underwent expansion. The two new teams were: Gujrat Titans and Lucknow Super Giants.
- After the tournament in 2011, this was the second season with ten teams.
- Newbie, Gujarat Titans defeated Rajasthan Royals in the final match by a margin of seven wickets and claimed the victory.
- After winning their fourth championship the season before, Chennai Super Kings were the defending champions.
- Jos Buttler became the most run-scorer in IPL 2022. He scored 863 runs in 17 matches including 4 hundred and 4 fifties.
- Jos Buttler also won the most valued player award this season.
|IPL 2022 Winners – Key facts|
|IPL 2022 Tournament Date||26th March 2022|
|IPL 2022 Final Date||29th May 2022|
|The Venue of IPL 2022 Finals||India- Maharashtra|
|Winner of IPL 2022||Gujrat Titans|
|Runner UP||Rajasthan Royals|
IPL Winners 2021
- The 14th edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) began on 9th April 2021.
- Kings XI Punjab was renamed the Punjab Kings prior to the tournament.
- The game, however, was put on indefinite hold on May 4 due to an increase in COVID-19 instances in some teams’ bio bubbles.
- The tournament started in India, but the remaining matches of the tournament were played in the United Arab Emirates in September and October 2021.
- Chennai Super Kings defeated Kolkata Knight Riders in the championship game to claim their fourth IPL title.
- The most runs were made by Ruturaj Gaikwad in the tournament, while the Most Valuable Player was Harshal Patel, who also took the most wickets.
|IPL 2021 Winners – Key facts|
|IPL 2021 Tournament Date||9th April 2021|
|IPL 2021 Final Date||15th October 2021|
|The Venue of IPL 2021 Finals||India and UAE|
|Winner of IPL 2021||Chennai Super Kings|
|Runner UP||Kolkata Knight Riders|
- Chennai Super Kings (CSK) and Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) competed in the IPL 2021 Final, which Chennai Super Kings (CSK) won by a score of 27 runs.
- The final game took place in Dubai, where CSK (192/3) defeated KKR (165/9) by a margin of 27 runs.
- Chennai Super Kings won their fourth IPL championship with the victory in IPL 2021.
- With 32 wickets, Royal Challengers Bangalore’s Harshal Patel received the purple cap.
- The IPL Orange Cup was won by Ruturaj Gaikwad, who is currently the league’s youngest player.
IPL Winners 2020
The 2020 Indian Premier League Final was played on 10th November 2020 between the Mumbai Indians and the Delhi Capitals at Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai. It was a Day-Night Twenty20 match, which decided the IPL winner 2020 of the annual Twenty20 tournament in India.
IPL 2020 tournament was originally scheduled to commence on 29 March 2020, but was suspended until 15 April due to the COVID-19 pandemic in India. The officials decide to start the tournament from September 19th 2020.
|IPL 2020 Winners – Key facts|
|IPL 2020 tournament started||September 19th 2020|
|IPL 2020 Final Played on||November 10th 2020|
|The venue of IPL 2020 finals||Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai|
|Winner of IPL 2020||Mumbai Indians|
|Runner UP||Delhi Capitals|
The defending champions, the Mumbai Indians, retained the title of IPL Winners by winning the match by five wickets. This was the fifth IPL title for the Mumbai Indians, having appeared in the finals six times. IPL 2020 was the first IPL final appearance for the Delhi Capitals.
The list of IPL 2020 Awardees for Different Categories are:
- Fairplay Award – Mumbai Indians
- Orange Cap: KL Rahul of Kings XI Punjab
- Purple Cap: Kagiso Rabada of Delhi Capitals
- Most Valuable Player: Jofra Archer of Rajasthan Royals
- Emerging Player: Devdutt Padikkal of Royal Challengers Bangalore
- Game Changer of the Season: KL Rahul of Kings XI Punjab
- Super-Striker of the Season: Kieron Pollard of Mumbai Indians
- Most Sixes in the season: Ishan Kishan of Mumbai Indians
- Powerplayer of the season: Trent Boult of Mumbai Indians
Previous Years IPL Winners List
The table below enlists the winners of the IPL tournament for previous years.
Go through the list of IPL winners from the year 2008 to 2019.
|Previous Years IPL Winners List|
|Year||IPL Winning Team||Captain of Winning Team||IPL Runner-up|
|2019||Mumbai Indians||Rohit Sharma||Chennai Super Kings|
|2018||Chennai Super Kings||M S Dhoni||Sunrisers Hyderabad|
|2017||Mumbai Indians||Rohit Sharma||Rising Pune Supergiant|
|2016||Sunrisers Hyderabad||David Warner||Royal Challengers Bangalore|
|2015||Mumbai Indians||Rohit Sharma||Chennai Super Kings|
|2014||Kolkata Knight Riders||Gautam Gambhir||Kings XI Punjab|
|2013||Mumbai Indians||Rohit Sharma||Chennai Super Kings|
|2012||Kolkata Knight Riders||Gautam Gambhir||Chennai Super Kings|
|2011||Chennai Super Kings||M S Dhoni||Royal Challengers Bangalore|
|2010||Chennai Super Kings||M S Dhoni||Mumbai Indians|
|2009||Deccan Chargers||Adam Gilchrist||Royal Challengers Bangalore|
|2008||Rajasthan Royals||Shane Warne||Chennai Super Kings|
IPL – Sample Questions On General Awareness
Aspirants of various competitive or government exams do encounter 1 or 2 questions based on IPL in the General Awareness Section of these exams. The types of questions related to this topic are given for reference.
Q.1. Which Team has won the maximum IPL Titles?
- Deccan Chargers
- Kolkata Knight Riders
- Mumbai Indians
- Rajasthan Royals
Answer (3) Mumbai Indians have won 5 titles.
Q.2. Which Player hit the maximum number of Sixes in IPL 2022?
- Jos Buttler
- Hardik Pandya
- Virat Kohli
- Dinesh Karthik
Answer (1) Jos Buttler
Q.3. Who is the leading wicket-taker in the Indian Premier League?
- Wanindu Hasaranga
- Yuzvendra Chahal
- Umran Malik
- Dwayne Bravo
Answer (2) Yuzvendra Chahal
Q.4. Who among the following is the highest run-scorer in the IPL 2022?
- KL Rahul
- Virat Kohli
- Hardik Pandya
- Jos Buttler
Answer (4) Jos Buttler
Q.5. Which team has been the maximum-time runner-up in IPL history?
- Rajasthan Royals
- Chennai Super Kings
- Kolkata Knight Riders
- Kings XI Punjab
Answer (2) Chennai Super Kings
Candidates encounter such types of MCQ questions in the general awareness section. Therefore, it is imperative to go through and download the list of IPL Winners between 2008 and 2022.
|Bank Exam Syllabus||SSC Syllabus||RRB Syllabus||LIC Syllabus|
IPL Winners List – Player Awards
Take a look at the list of awards given away in the IPL 2022 Tournament based on players’ performances.
The complete list of IPL awards for best performances includes the following categories:
- Orange Cap – To the leading run-scorer in IPL – Shaun Marsh became the first winner of the award. In the 2019 IPL David Warner won the Orange Cap IPL Award, and in IPL 2022 Jos Buttler won the Orange Cap.
- Purple Cap – To the leading wicket-taker in IPL – Sohail Tanveer was the first awardee of Purple Cap. In IPL 2019, Imran Tahir won this award. In IPL 2022, Yuzvendra Chahal won the Purple Cap.
- Maximum Sixes Awards – To the batsman who hits the most sixes in IPL. 1st receiver of this award was Sanath Jayasuriya and in IPL 2019 Andre Russell won the Maximum Sixes Award. Jos Buttler won the Maximum Sixes Award in IPL 2022.
- Most Valuable Player – Till 2012 it was called ‘Man of the Tournament’. Shane Watson was the first recipient of this award in 2008 IPL. Jofra Archer won the award of Most Valuable Player in IPL 2020. In 2022, Jos Buttler was felicitated with this award.
- Emerging Player of the Year – It was presented as “best under-19 player” in 2008, and “best under-23 player” and “Under-23 Success of the Tournament” in 2009 and 2010 respectively. The award was known as “Rising Star of the Year”, in 2011-12, and “Best Young Player of the Season” in 2013. Since 2014, the award has been called the “Emerging Player of the Year.” The first player to receive this award was Shreevats Goswami in 2008, Devdutt Padikkal won the award for Emerging Player of the Year in IPL 2020. In IPL 2022, Umran Malik won this award.
Given below is the complete list of IPL Awards (categories) with its 1st recipient and the latest winners:
|IPL Awards List (Categories & Winners)|
|Awards||1st Recipient (2008)||Latest Recipient (2022)|
|Man of the Match (Final)||Yusuf Pathan||Hardik Pandya|
|Orange Cap (Most Runs)||Shaun Marsh (KXIP)||Jos Buttler|
|Purple Cap (Most Wickets)||Sohail Tanveer (RR)||Yuzvendra Chahal|
|Emerging Player (future star of International Cricket)||Shreevats Goswami (RCB)||Umran Malik|
|Perfect Catch||–||Evin Lewis|
|Super Striker||–||Dinesh Karthik|
|Most Valuable Player (earning more points in the whole season)||Shane Watson (RR)||Jos Buttler|
|Fair play Award (best spirit of the game throughout the season)||Chennai Super Kings||Gujrat Titans and Rajasthan Royals|
|Gamechanger of the Season||–||Jos Buttler|
|Maximum Sixes||Sanath Jayasuriya||Jos Buttler|
|Most Fours||–||Jos Buttler|
|Fastest Delivery of the Match||–||Lockie Ferguson|
List of IPL Winners PDF:-Download PDF Here
Most Win in IPL
Mumbai Indians (MI), which has five IPL championships, is the league’s most successful team. The second-best team to win the IPL championship four times is Chennai Super Kings. Let’s look at the list of teams with the most IPL victories.
|IPL Winner Team||Times||Year|
|Mumbai Indians||5 times||2013, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020|
|Chennai Super Kings||4 times||2010, 2011, 2018, 2021|
|Kolkata Knight Riders||2 times||2012, 2014|
|Sunrisers Hyderabad||1 time||2016|
|Rajasthan Royals||1 time||2008|
|Deccan Chargers||1 time||2009|
Candidates can check the following for relevant information:
Candidates preparing for the upcoming government exams must carefully go through the list of IPL Winners to ace the General Awareness Section easily.
Also, check Previous Year Question Papers with solution PDF to understand the type of questions asked in the general awareness section of these examinations.