- A food chain symbolizes the path of energy within an ecosystem.
- Each food chain is one possible path that energy and nutrients may take as they move through the ecosystem.
- Each tier represents a different trophic level.
- For example – Primary producers such as green plants translate solar energy into carbohydrates. This energy is then tapped by primary and secondary consumers and ultimately recycled by decomposers.
- A food-chain model shows a simplified linear sequence. All of the interconnected and overlapping food chains in an ecosystem make up a food web.
Further Readings –