The environment is an important topic in UPSC Mains GS 3 of the Civil Services Examination (CSE.) This article will provide you with a set of Science and Technology Questions asked in the Mains GS 3 of the IAS Exam over the years.
Candidates can get topic-wise GS 3 questions from the links provided in the table below:
For details of UPSC Mains, check the linked article.
GS 3 Environment Questions (Year-Wise)
The tables below will provide Biodiversity & Environment questions for UPSC Mains GS 3 from the year 2013-2019. Candidates can refer to the detailed GS 3 Structure, Syllabus and Strategy in the linked article.
|2019 – Biodiversity & Environment Questions in UPSC Mains
- Coastal sand mining, whether legal or illegal, poses one of the biggest threats to our environment. Analyze the impact of sand mining along the Indians coasts, citing specific examples.
- Define the concept of carrying capacity of an ecosystem as relevant to an environment. Explain how understanding this concept is vital while planning for the sustainable development of a region.
|2018 – Biodiversity & Environment Questions in UPSC Mains
- What are the impediments in disposing of the huge quantities of discarded solid wastes which are continuously being generated? How do we remove safely the toxic wastes that have been accumulating in our habitable environment?
- What is a wetland? Explain the Ramsar concept of ‘wise use’ in the context of wetland conservation. Cite two examples of Ramsar sites from India.
- Sikkim is the first ‘Organic State’ in India. What are the ecological and economical benefits of an Organic State?
- How does biodiversity vary in India? How is the Biological Diversity Act,2002 helpful in the conservation of flora and fauna?
|2017 – Biodiversity & Environment Questions in UPSC Mains
- Not many years ago, river linking was a concept but it is becoming a reality in the country. Discuss the advantages of river linking and its possible impact on the environment.
- ‘Climate Change’ is a global problem. How will India be affected by climate change? How Himalayan and coastal states of India will be affected by climate change?
|2016 – Biodiversity & Environment Questions in UPSC Mains
- Give an account of the current status and the targets to be achieved pertaining to renewable energy sources in the country. Discuss in brief the importance of the National Programme on Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs).
- Rehabilitation of human settlements is one of the important environmental impacts which always attracts controversy while planning major projects. Discuss the measures suggested for mitigation of this impact while proposing major developmental projects.
- The frequency of urban floods due to high-intensity rainfall is increasing over the years. Discussing the reasons for urban floods, highlight the mechanisms for preparedness to reduce the risk during such events.
|2015 – Biodiversity & Environment Questions in UPSC Mains
- The Namami Gange and National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) programmes and causes of mixed results from the previous schemes. What quantum leaps can help preserve the river Ganga better than incremental inputs?
|2014 – Biodiversity & Environment Questions in UPSC Mains
- Should the pursuit of carbon credit and clean development mechanisms set up under UNFCCC be maintained even though there has been a massive slide in the value of carbon credit? Discuss with respect to India’s energy needs for economic growth.
- Environmental impact assessment studies are increasingly undertaken before the project is cleared by the government. Discuss the environmental impacts of coal-fired thermal plants located at Pitheads.
|2013 – Biodiversity & Environment Questions in UPSC Mains
- What are the consequences of Illegal mining? Discuss the Ministry of Environment and Forest’s concept of GO AND NO GO zones for the coal mining sector.
- Enumerate the National Water Policy of India. Taking river Ganges as an example, discuss the strategies which may be adopted for river water pollution control and management. What are the legal provisions of the management and handling of hazardous wastes in India?
Candidates can get UPSC Previous Year Question Papers from the linked article.
Environment & Ecology Questions for UPSC Mains GS 3:- Download PDF Here
To get the topic-wise GS 3 questions for UPSC Mains in one place, check the linked article.
GS 3 Environment Related Links: