Disaster Management is an important topic in UPSC Mains GS 3 of the Civil Services Examination (CSE.) This article will provide you with a set of Disaster Management Questions asked in the Mains GS 3 of the IAS Exam over the years.
Candidates can get topic-wise GS 3 questions from the links provided in the table below:
For details of UPSC Mains, check the linked article.
GS 3 Disaster Management Questions (Year-Wise)
The tables below will provide Disaster Management questions for UPSC Mains GS 3 from the year 2013-2019. Candidates can refer to the detailed GS 3 Structure, Syllabus and Strategy in the linked article.
|2019 – Disaster Management Questions in UPSC Mains|
- Vulnerability is an essential element for defining disaster impacts and its threat to people. How and in what ways can vulnerability to disasters be characterized? Discuss different types of vulnerability with reference to disasters.
- Disaster preparedness is the first step in any disaster management process. Explain how hazard zonation mapping will help disaster mitigation in the case of landslides.
|2018 – Disaster Management Questions in UPSC Mains|
- Describe various measures taken in India for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) before and after signing ‘Sendai Framework for DRR (2015-2030)’. How is this framework different from ‘Hyogo Framework for Action, 2005’? (250 Words, 15 Marks)
|2017 – Disaster Management Questions in UPSC Mains|
- In December 2004, a tsunami brought havoc on 14 countries including India. Discuss the factors responsible for the occurrence of Tsunami and its effects on life and economy. In the light of guidelines of NDMA (2010) describe the mechanisms for preparedness to reduce the risk during such events.
|2016 – Disaster Management Questions in UPSC Mains|
- With reference to the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) guidelines, discuss the measures to be adopted to mitigate the impact of recent incidents of cloudbursts in many places of Uttarakhand.
|2015 – Disaster Management Questions in UPSC Mains|
- The frequency of earthquakes appears to have increased in the Indian subcontinent. However, India’s preparedness for mitigating their impact has significant gaps. Discuss various aspects.
|2014 – Disaster Management Questions in UPSC Mains|
- In 2012, the longitudinal marking of the high-risk areas for piracy was moved from 65° East to 78° east in the Arabian Sea by the International Maritime organisation. What impact does this have on India’s maritime security concerns?
- Drought has been recognized as a disaster in view of its party expense, temporal duration, slow onset and lasting effect on various vulnerable sections. With a focus on the September 2010 guidelines from the National disaster management authority, discuss the mechanism for preparedness to deal with the El Nino and La Nina fallouts in India.
|2013 – Disaster Management Questions in UPSC Mains|
- How important are vulnerability and risk assessment for pre-disaster management? As an administrator, what are key areas that you would focus on in a Disaster Management System?
Candidates can get UPSC Previous Year Question Papers from the linked article.
To get the topic-wise GS 3 questions for UPSC Mains in one place, check the linked article.
GS 3 Disaster Management Related Links: