Following are the important causes of soil erosion:
- Higher intensity of rainfall and flooding causes rill erosion, gully erosion, sheet erosion and splash erosion.
- The agricultural activities disturb the ground. Most of the crops are grown during the spring season, the land lies fallow during winters. Most of the soil is eroded during winters.
- Overgrazing of animals removes the vegetation from the land which in turn causes erosion.
- Logging and mining activities also disturb the land and leave the soil more prone to erosion.
- The construction of roads and buildings
- The flowing rivers and streams carry away the soil particles leading to erosion.