Given below are the top 10 causes of pollution –
- Burning of Fossil Fuels – such as coal, oil, gasoline to produce energy for electricity or transportation
- Automobiles – gases emitted from vehicles
- Agricultural Activities – the insecticides, pesticides and fertilizers emit harmful chemicals. Burning stubble and farm residue also contribute to pollution.
- Factories and Industries – emits carbon monoxide, organic compounds, hydrocarbons and chemicals.
- Mining Activities – dust and chemicals are released while extracting minerals from the earth
- Domestic Sources – household cleaning products and paints contain toxic chemicals
- Construction and Demolition – raw materials such as bricks and concrete cause haze and foul air
- Open burning of Garbage waste
- Microbial Decaying process – Decaying of the microorganisms present in the surrounding releases methane gas which is highly toxic.
- Volcanic eruptions- volcanoes release enough sulfur dioxide into the air and influence global cooling.
Further Readings –