Indian Institute of Technology Dharwad or commonly known as IIT Dharwad is a newly setup IIT that was established in the year 2016. IIT Bombay had a key role in setting up the institute and it is also the mentor institute. IIT Dharwad is affiliated to an autonomous university. As the IIT is fairly new, no rankings have been included yet.
Talking about the courses, currently, the institution offers few programs as compared to other institutes. It offers B.Tech course in branches, like computer science, electrical engineering and mechanical engineering. As for the number of seats, the institute takes in 40 students in each program which is of 4year duration. Additionally, the college has also started a PhD program from January 2018 where 100 seats are available. This program is for 2 years.
IIT Dharwad Admissions
The admissions for IIT Dharwad are based on the following;
- For B.Tech programs, students have to clear the JEE exams and attend JoSAA counselling.
- Candidates can apply for PhD after achieving a qualifying score in any national level examinations such as GATE, NET etc.
- Apart from these, the applicants must also satisfy the eligibility criteria specified by respective departments.
The candidates can apply online for the programs by filling the application form available on the official website. https://www.iitdh.ac.in There is also some application fee that needs to be paid. It is normally between Rs.100 – 200.
IIT Dharwad Cutoff
Below we have listed the cutoff required for IIT Dharwad.
|IIT Dharwad – JEE Advanced Cutoff|
|Category||General||OBC – NCL||SC||ST|
|B.Tech Courses (Duration 4 years)|
|Computer Science and Engineering||2671||4971||1195||1959||528||1110||602||643|
IIT Dharwad Fee Structure
The details of IIT Dharwad fee structure is given below.
|One Time Fees||₹5,000|
|Tuition Fee (per Semester)||₹1,00,000|
|Other fees (per Semester)||₹9,250|
|Caution Money (One Time, Refundable)||₹2,000|
Note: For tuition, IIT Dharwad offers 100 percent fee waiver for SC/ST/PH students.
|Hostel Rent (per Semester)||₹500|
|Electricity and Water charges (per Semester)||₹2,500|
|Hostel Mess (per Semester)||₹20,000|
|Hostel Establishment Charges (per Semester)||₹2,500|
|Mess Caution Money (One Time, Refundable)||₹1,000|
The institute started its academic activities only in 2016. Therefore, graduates are yet to be placed. The placement details will be available only after that. We will update this space once the details are up.
FAQ – IIT Dharwad
- Which branch of M.Tech is there at IIT Dharwad?
Currently, there are no programs for M.Tech.
- Is the campus of IIT Dharwad temporary?
IIT Dharwad is making use of the campus belonging to Water and Land Management Institute (WALMI) in Dharwad. However, a permanent building is being constructed at Chikkamaligawad village.
- What is the role of IIT Bombay?
IIT Bombay is the mentor institute for IIT Dharwad. As part of the mentorship plan, IIT Dharwad’s curriculum has been modelled on the curriculum of IIT Bombay.
Pros And Cons Of Joining A New IIT
- More exposure than students studying in older IIT as there will probably be a temporary campus initially until the permanent one sets up.
- You have more opportunities to explore in a new IIT as you will be the ones that define it in the near future.
- More support from faculty and staff is guaranteed.
- All round development.
- The college may not turn out to be academically satisfactory especially for students looking for a future in research.
- There may be a shortage of resources, faculty and a temporary campus too.
- Many companies may prefer going to older IIT instead of new ones for placement.
To learn about the different IITs in India and competitive exams, keep visiting BYJU’S.