The ‘Padhe Bharat’ Campaign was launched on January 1, 2022, by Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan. He underscored the benefits of inculcating the habit of reading at an early age, which include brain development, better imagination and a conducive learning environment for children. He stressed that reading is the foundation of learning, which encourages students to read books independently, develops critical thinking, vocabulary, creativity and the ability to express both verbally and in writing.
Since the Padhe Bharat Campaign has been in the news recently, it is important for the current affairs section of various competitive exams and the Mains GS-I, GS-II and Essay part of the IAS exam.
|Looking for study material to prepare for the upcoming Civil Services Exam? Refer to the links below and complement your UPSC exam preparation:|
What is Padhe Bharat Campaign?
- It is a 100 days reading campaign.
- It is in alignment with the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 which focuses on encouraging joyful reading culture for children by ensuring the availability of age appropriate reading books for children in local/mother tongue/regional/tribal Language.
Get information about important government schemes in the linked article.
Aim of the Padhe Bharat Campaign
- It aims to support and encourage students, along with all stakeholders at state and national level including their schools, teachers, parents, and communities, in every possible way and encourage children to read for joyful learning experience.
- One activity per week per group has been designed with the emphasis on making reading enjoyable and build lifelong association with the joy of reading.
What will the Campaign Focus on?
- The campaign will focus on children studying in Balvatika to Grade 8.
- It will also focus on Indian languages including mother tongue/local/regional languages.
- International Mother Tongue Day, which is celebrated on 21st February has also been integrated with this campaign. This particular day will be celebrated with the activity of Kahani Padho Apni Bhasa Main (Reading story in own language) throughout the country by encouraging children to read in their mother tongue/local language. This will help in promoting local language and culture of the Indian society.
- The reading campaign will take place from 1st January 2022 till 10th April 2022. And will be organised for 100 days (14 weeks).
- This campaign has also been aligned with the vision and goals of foundational Literacy and Numeracy mission (NIPUN Bharat).
The Department of School Education & Literacy under the Ministry of Education has invited all stakeholders to participate in the ‘Padhe Bharat’ campaign to build strong foundation for children.