Band, pride, fleet? Ever heard of collective nouns? Collective nouns are words that are used to denote a group of people, animals or things. This article will help you with an in-depth understanding of collective nouns, the definition and examples.
- What is a Collective Noun?
- Examples of Collective Nouns
- Collective Noun Examples Used in Sentences
- Test Your Knowledge on Collective Nouns
- Frequently Asked Questions on Collective Nouns
What is a Collective Noun?
A collective noun is a naming word used to refer to a group or number of animals, people or things. One thing you should remember when you use collective nouns in sentences is to use the right form of the verb.
Collective Noun Definition
The Collins Dictionary defines collective nouns as “a noun such as ‘family’ or ‘team’ that refers to a group of people or things”. According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, a collective noun is defined as “a noun such as ‘team’ or ‘flock’ that refers to a group of people or things”.
Examples of Collective Nouns
Here are some examples of collective nouns.
Collective Nouns for Animals
- Collective noun for bees – Swarm
- Collective noun for fish – Shoal or School
- Collective noun for sheep – Herd
- Collective noun for ships – Fleet
- Collective noun for birds – Flock
- Collective noun for lions – Pride
- Collective noun for wolves – Pack
- Collective noun for ants – Colony
Collective Nouns for People
- Collective noun for actors – Troupe, Company or Cast
- Collective noun for soldiers – Army
- Collective noun for musicians – Band
- Collective noun for warriors – Troop
- Collective noun for directors – Board
- Collective noun for sailors – Crew
- Collective noun for singers – Choir
- Collective noun for dancers – Group
- Collective noun for thieves – Pack
- Collective noun for players – Team
- Collective noun for delegates – Delegation
- Collective noun for judges – Panel or Bench
Collective Nouns for Objects/Things
- Collective noun for cards – Deck/Pack
- Collective noun for cigarettes – Packet
- Collective noun for mountains – Range
- Collective noun for apples – Bushel
- Collective noun for bananas – Comb
- Collective noun for grapes – Bunch
- Collective noun for flowers – Bunch or Bouquet
- Collective noun for trees – Grove or Forest
Collective Noun Examples Used in Sentences
Have a look at the following sentences.
- Tommy was excited to see a herd of elephants on the way to his native place.
- The bench of judges gave the verdict on the case.
- The kid enjoyed seeing the flock of pigeons take off all at once.
- The football team was congratulated by the principal.
- The mob was getting crazier with time.
- The event started with the band playing the school anthem.
- The children learnt how to perform a magic trick with a pack of cards pretty soon.
- The British army was defeated in World War II.
Test Your Knowledge on Collective Nouns
Fill in the blanks with the appropriate collective nouns:
- A ____________ of cows
- A ____________ of robbers
- A ____________ of musicians
- A ____________ of kittens
- A ____________ of puppies
- A ____________ of cattle
- A ____________ of rumours
- A ____________ of clams
- A ____________ of sharks
- A ____________ of hamsters
Why don’t you check if you got it all right?
- A herd of cows
- A gang of robbers
- A band of musicians
- A kindle of kittens
- A litter of puppies
- A herd of cattle
- A nest of rumours
- A bed of clams
- A shiver of sharks
- A horde of hamsters
Frequently Asked Questions on Collective Nouns
What is a collective noun?
A collective noun is a naming word used to refer to a group or number of animals, people or things. According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, a collective noun is defined as “a noun such as ‘team’ or ‘flock’ that refers to a group of people or things”.
Give some examples of collective nouns.
A swarm of bees, a fleet of ships, a flock of birds, a company of actors, a bunch of grapes and a litter of puppies are some examples of collective nouns.