It is wrong to think that one can get through the Civil Services only by studying very hard. In the final round, your interests and hobbies are also taken into account for selections” – Smita Sabharwal IAS
Smita Sabharwal IAS is also known as the ‘People’s Officer’. Her exemplary work as an IAS officer has earned her many accolades and she has become an inspiration to IAS aspirants all over the country.
She was an IAS topper, securing 4th rank in the 2000 UPSC exam. Read on about Smita Sabharwal’s incredible journey.
Smita Sabharwal Background
- Smita is the daughter of Colonel PK Das, a retired Army Officer and Purabi Das.
- Originally from Darjeeling, Smita studied in Hyderabad from standard IX. She completed her 12th from St Ann’s, Marredpally, Hyderabad. She secured the all India first rank in her class XII (ICSE Board).
- After that, she pursued her B.Com from St. Francis Degree College for Women.
- In her first attempt at the civil services exam, Smita failed to clear the IAS prelims exam.
- In her second attempt in 2000, she not only cleared the exam but also bagged an amazing rank of 4! She was just 23 years old then becoming one of the youngest IAS officers and creating a wonderful UPSC success story.
Smita Sabharwal IAS Preparation Strategy
- Smita studied for six hours per day and also ensured she played for an hour a day.
- She also relied on newspapers and magazines for her daily current affairs.
- Her optional subjects were anthropology and public administration. You can read all about these two optionals in the table below:
Smita Sabharwal Career as an IAS Officer
- Smita Sabharwal has earned fame as an upright IAS officer who is approachable.
- While serving as the Municipal Commissioner at Warangal, she introduced “Fund your City” scheme where a large number of public utilities like Foot over bridges, Traffic Junctions, Parks, Bus-stops, were constructed with Public-Private Partnership.
- Her stints in Karimnagar and Medak as the District Collector has been praised by many. She took charge of Karimnagar District in 2011. There, she made a noteworthy contribution in the Health and Education sector. With the assistance of Public Representatives, Karimnagar Town experienced a renovation in the form of wider roads, systematically planned traffic junctions, Bus-stops, Toilets and other public utilities.
- She has also become the first lady IAS officer to be appointed to the Chief Minister’s Office.
- Currently, she is Secretary to CM, Govt. of Telangana. She also holds additional charge as Secretary, Rural Water Supply Department, and Mission Bhagiratha.
Smita Sabharwal Facts
DOB: 19th June, 1977
Optional Subjects: Anthropology and Public Administration
Age when cleared the exam: 23
For more such UPSC success stories for inspiration and motivation, you can check out our segment which posts articles on IAS toppers, Get Inspired.