The 2nd Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC), Disaster Management Exercise was conducted in Odisha, from 11th February 2020 to 13th February 2020. The Disaster Management Exercise was inaugurated by Chief Minister of Odisha Naveen Patnaik. National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) was the nodal agency for organising the BIMSTEC DMEX 2020 Exercise. The 1st BIMSTEC, Disaster Management Exercise was carried out in Nepal in 2017.
Aspirants would find this topic very helpful while preparing for the IAS Exam.
BIMSTEC – Disaster Management Exercise (DMEX) – Objectives
This Disaster Management Exercise was carried out with an aim to achieve the following objectives.
- To increase the coordination and cooperation of multi-agencies in the event of floods, earthquakes, storms.
- To evaluate the coordination of multi-stakeholders ranging from international,national,state,district and local level authorities in the event of disasters due to various reasons.
- To evaluate the efficiency of existing procedures of emergency response in the event of disasters.
BIMSTEC – Disaster Management Exercise (DMEX) – Participating Countries
A total of 80 delegates participated from 5 member nations. There were more than 35 participants from different states of India. The countries that participated in the exercise are given below.
- Sri Lanka
BIMSTEC DMEX – Exercise
BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise consisted of the Exercises which are listed below.
- Table Top Exercise (TTX) – It was on the scenario where there is an earthquake, participants discussed response plans and shared best practices.
- Field Training Exercise (FTX) on Flood – It was conducted at a beach in Puri. Here flood rescue was simulated in a village and world famous heritage site, Konark Sun Temple.
- After Action Review (AAR) – shared the experiences and the need for enhanced cooperation between nations.
BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise 2020 – Observers
Various International agencies and National agencies were observers of the BIMSTEC – Disaster Management Exercise.
The 3 International Agencies that were observers of this exercise are listed below.
- United Nations Development Program (UNDP) – It is headquartered in New York, USA.
- International Centre for the Study of the Preservation and Restoration of Cultural Property (ICCROM) – It is headquartered in Rome, Italy
- International Search and Rescue Advisory Group (INSARAG) – INSARAG Secretariat is located in the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, headquartered in New York, USA.
- BIMSTEC Secretariat – It is located in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
The 8 National Agencies that were observers of this exercise are listed below.
- Archaeological Survey of India (ASI)
- Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH)
- National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA)
- Indian Meteorological Department (IMD)
- Animal Quarantine and Certification Scheme (AQCS)
- Central Warehousing Corporation (CWC)
- Fire Services
- Civil Defense
BIMSTEC-Disaster Management Exercise – UPSC Notes:- Download PDF Here
The above details would help candidates prepare for UPSC 2021.