UPSC has released the notification for UPSC Mains 2019 IAS Exam. The IAS Prelims exam took place on 2nd June 2019. UPSC IAS Exam is conducted in three phases- Prelims, Mains and Interview. Medical Science as an optional subject for UPSC IAS Mains has two papers for 250 marks each
An aspirant who is an MBBS graduate must think about this subject as one of the optionals. Medical Science won’t be a right optional subject for BDS, BAMS or any other field graduate. The UPSC Medical Science Syllabus for civil service examination is vast. However, there are so many candidates who cleared IAS Examination by choosing Medical Science as their optional subject.
UPSC Medical Science Books
Here we are giving the important books for Medical science optional Paper I and Paper II. This will help the aspirants with Medical Science optional for UPSC Mains.
The paper I of Medical Science optional includes: Human Anatomy, Human Physiology, Pathology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Microbiology, and Forensic Medicine and Toxicology.
Paper II of Medical Science comprises topics like General Medicine, Obstetrics, and Gynaecology including Family Planning, Pediatrics, Community Medicine, Dermatology and General Surgery.
Books for Medical Science Paper-I
- Human Anatomy—B D Chaurasia
- Embryology from I B Singh;
- Human Physiology– Ganong; Guyton and A.K. Jain book
- Biochemistry– by U. Satyanarayana book.
- Pathology– Robbins, and Cotran
- Textbook of PATHOLOGY- Harsh Mohan
- Essentials of Medical Pharmacology-K D Tripathi
- Illustrated Reviews Pharmacology -Lippincott
- Microbiology– D R Arora
- Medical Parasitology- D R Arora
- Ananthanarayan and Paniker’s Textbook of Microbiology
- Essentials of Forensic medicine and Toxicology- Dr. K S Narayan Reddy
- Park Textbook of Preventive and Social Medicine- K Park
If you are planning to take UPSC 2020, you may like to go through the linked article.
Books for Medical Science Paper-II
- General Medicine textbook of medicine- S N Chugh
- Medicine: Prep Manual for Undergraduates- George Mathews
- Emergency medicine- S N Chugh.
- Manipal Manual of Surgery- K. Rajgopal Shenoy
- Clinical surgery- S Das.
- Pediatrics– Essential pediatrics by O P Ghai, Paul and Bagga.
- Practical Aspects Of Pediatrics- Dr. Mayoor K Chheda
- Illustrated Synopsis of Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases- Dr. Neena Khanna.
- Textbook Of Obstetrics-D.C. Dutt
UPSC aspirants may refer to some relevant articles to UPSC Medical Science and IAS exam in the table below: