UPSC Exam Preparation: Topic of the Day – Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana
The Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana (PKVY) – traditional farming improvement programme was launched in 2015. It is an extended component of Soil Health Management (SHM) under the Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS), National Mission on Sustainable Agriculture (NMSA). PKVY aims at supporting and promoting organic farming, reduction in dependence on fertilizers and agricultural chemicals, in turn, resulting in improvement of the soil health while increasing the yields. Organic food, thus produced will be linked with modern marketing tools and local markets.
The revamped PKVY promotes organic farming through the adoption of organic village by cluster approach and Participatory Guarantee System of certification.
Funding pattern under the scheme is in the ratio of 60:40 by the Central and State Governments respectively. In case of North Eastern and the Himalayan States, Central Assistance is provided in the ratio of 90:10 (Centre: State) and for Union Territories, the assistance is 100%.
- The objective is to produce agricultural products free from chemicals and pesticides residues by adopting eco- friendly, low- cost technologies. Key Thrust areas of PKVY in promoting organic farming include the following:
- Promote organic farming among rural youth/ farmers/ consumers/ traders
- Disseminate latest technologies in organic farming
- Utilize the services of experts from public agricultural research system in India
- Organize a minimum of one cluster demonstration in a village
Implementation of the programme:
- PKVY is being implemented by the Organic Farming cell of the Integrated Nutrient Management (Division) of Department of Agriculture; Cooperation and Farmers Welfare (DAC&FW)
- At the State level, State Department of Agriculture and Cooperation has been implementing the scheme with the involvement of Regional Councils that are registered under PGS- India Certification Programme
- At the district level, the Regional Councils (RCs) within the district anchor the implementation of PKVY.
Read more ‘Topic of the Day’ and stay ahead of your competition.