Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi is a central sector scheme under the government of India which provides income support to the farmers and their families. PM-KISAN scheme was first implemented as the Rythu Bandhu scheme by the Government of Telangana where a certain amount was handed directly to the eligible farmers. Later, on 1 February 2019, during the 2019 Interim Union Budget of India, Piyush Goyal announced the implementation of this scheme as a nationwide project. Narendra Modi launched the PM-KISAN scheme on 24 February 2019 in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh. Under this scheme, all small and marginal farmers will be provided with income support of Rs.6,000 per year in three installments which will be deposited directly to their bank accounts. The total annual expenditure for this scheme is expected to be Rs.75,000 crore which will be financed by the Union Government in 2019-20.
The highlights of the PM-KISAN scheme are given in the table below:
|Name of the scheme||PM-KISAN Yojana|
|Full-Form||Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana|
|Date of launch||24th February 2019|
|Government Ministry||Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare|
Candidates can know the detailed information about the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana on the Official Website (https://pmkisan.gov.in/).
PM- KISAN Scheme is an important topic for the IAS Exam. Candidates can also download the notes PDF at the end of the article.
Objectives of PM-KISAN scheme
Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana is implemented as a central sector scheme by the Government of India. This scheme was introduced to augment the source of income of many small and marginal farmers. The main objectives of the PM-KISAN scheme are mentioned below:
- To provide income support to all eligible land-holding farmers and their families.
- PM-KISAN scheme also aims to supplement the financial needs of the farmers in procuring various inputs to ensure proper crop health and appropriate yields, commensurate with the anticipated farm income.
- The scheme is expected to increase the coverage of PM-KISAN to around 14.5 crore beneficiaries. It aims to cover around 2 crores more farmers with an estimated expenditure of Rs. 87,217.50 crores that will be funded by the Central Government for the year 2019-20.
Eligibility to avail benefits under PM-KISAN scheme
Any small or marginal farmer should not fall under the following criteria to be eligible under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana. Below are some of the categories of beneficiaries who are not eligible for benefit under this scheme:
- Any institutional land-holders.
- The farmer as well as any member of the family belonging to the following categories:
- Former and present holders of constitutional posts
- Former and present Ministers/ State Ministers
- Former or present members of LokSabha/ RajyaSabha/ State Legislative Assemblies/ State Legislative Councils
- Former and present Mayors of Municipal Corporations
- Former and present Chairpersons of District Panchayats.
- Any serving or retired officers as well as employees under the Central/ State Government Ministries /Offices/Departments.
- All retired pensioners who get a monthly pension of Rs.10,000/-or more and belonging to the above category.
- Any individual who paid their income tax in the last assessment year is not eligible under this scheme.
- Professionals like Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers, Chartered Accountants, and Architects registered with Professional bodies and carrying out profession by undertaking practices.
The farmers eligible under the scheme are required to produce the below-mentioned documents for their verification:
- Citizenship certificate
- Landholding papers
- Aadhaar card
- Bank account details
Candidates should follow the latest developments in Current Affairs related to other government schemes for their UPSC 2020 preparation.
PM-KISAN Scheme (UPSC Notes):- Download PDF Here
|Pradhan Mantri Kisan Maan-Dhan Yojana||UPSC Syllabus||Current Affairs|
|UPSC Notes||GS – III Question Paper 2019||Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY)|
|Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana||Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana||Government Schemes|
Multiple Choice Question
Consider the following statements
- The PM-KISAN scheme was first implemented as the Rythu Bandhu scheme by the Government of Telangana where a certain amount was handed directly to the eligible farmers. Later, on 1 February 2019, during the 2019 Interim Union Budget of India, Piyush Goyal announced the implementation of this scheme as a nationwide project.
- Under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi scheme, all small and marginal farmers will be provided with income support of Rs.6,000 per year in three installments which will be deposited directly to their bank accounts.
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Maan Dhan Yojana is administered by the Cooperation & Farmers Welfare, Department of Agriculture, Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare, and the Government of India in partnership with Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC).
- PM Kisan SAMPADA Yojana is a central sector scheme introduced by the Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI). The PM Kisan SAMPADA Yojana is a revised name of “Scheme for Agro-Marine Processing and Development of Agro-Processing Clusters.PM Kisan SAMPADA Yojana is a comprehensive package aiming to create modern infrastructure with efficient supply chain management from farm gate to retail outlet. The scheme boosts the growth of the food processing sector in the country.
Choose the correct answer from the below-given options
A) All of the above statements are true.
B) Only statements 2, 3, and 4 are true.
C) Only statements 1, 3, and 4 are true.
D) None of the above statements are true.