PM Kisan SAMPADA Yojana is a central sector scheme introduced by Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI). The topic of PM Kisan SAMPADA Yojana holds relevance in all competitive exams. As it is a government initiative there are greater chances that at least 1-2 questions related to PM Kisan SAMPADA Yojana are asked in the exams like Bank exams, SSC, RRB, and other Government exams.
UPSC exam covers topics including government schemes like Pradhan Mantri Kisan SAMPADA Yojana in the general awareness and governance sections (Mains GS-II) of UPSC Syllabus.
The PM Kisan SAMPADA Yojana is a revised name of “Scheme for Agro-Marine Processing and Development of Agro-Processing Clusters.” This article will provide you with relevant facts about PM Kisan SAMPADA Scheme for the UPSC Prelims and mains.
|The PIB Summary and Analysis page will give you the latest information about government reforms, initiatives and announcements!!
The following links will further help their candidates in their exam preparation:
PM Kisan SAMPADA Yojana – Introduction
PM Kisan SAMPADA Yojana is a comprehensive package aiming to create modern infrastructure with efficient supply chain management from farm gate to retail outlet. The scheme boosts the growth of the food processing sector in the country and helps in providing better returns to farmers as well. It is a big step towards creating huge employment opportunities in the rural areas, doubling the farmers’ income, increasing the processing level, reducing wastage of agricultural produce, and enhancing the export of processed foods.
Features of PM Kisan Sampada Yojana
- It has an outlay of 6000 crores.
- The scheme will be implemented by the year 2019-20.
- The scheme aims at integrating existing and new schemes targeted at reducing food wastage, provide quality food to consumers at reasonable prices and at the same time doubling farmer’s income.
- SAMPADA is an umbrella scheme with its period coterminous with the cycle of 14th finance commission. It has various schemes within its gamut.
Current Update on PM Kisan Sampada Yojana:
Ministry of Food Processing Industries in February 2020 sanctioned 32 projects under PM Kisan Sampada Yojana. The projects are stated to be spread across 17 states in India and are to leverage an investment worth of Rs. 406 crores. Other details are:
- Employment Generation – The 32 projects under PMKSY will create direct/indirect employment with special focus on employment opportunities in rural areas.
- Modern Processing Techniques – The ministry has introduced modern food processing techniques improving shelf-life of agriculture produce and ensuring stable revenue for the farmers.
- Value of Food Processing Market in India – The food processing market in India was valued at approximately Rs. 26 billion in FY 2018 and is expected to reach approximately Rs. 53 billion by FY 2024, expanding at a CAGR of ~12.09% during the FY 2020-FY 2024 period.
Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana – Schemes
|Mega food parks||Ongoing|
|Integrated cold chain and value addition infrastructure||Ongoing|
|Creation/ Expansion of Food processing and preservation capacities||New|
|Infrastructure for agro-processing clusters||New|
|Creation of backward and forward linkages||New|
|Food safety and quality assurance infrastructure||Ongoing|
|Human resources and institutions||Ongoing|
Implementation of Kisan SAMPADA Yojana
- The Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MOFPI) has approved the establishment of 42 Mega Food Parks, 236 Integrated Cold Chains with a view to creating a modern infrastructure for the food processing along the value chain from the farm to the market.
- Steps are being taken to boost the food processing sector in order to fulfil the objectives of bringing down post-harvest wastages and losses preferably to zero levels.
- The scheme intends to identify agro clusters and grant them subsidies so that the transfer of food products from the producing centres to the market becomes seamless.
- SAMPADA aims at the entire linkage and plugging gaps in the supply chain, modernization/ expansion of existing food processing units, creation of processing and preservation capacities, etc. It is an all-inclusive package to give a renewed thrust to the food processing sector in India.
- The scheme will benefit the farmers by increasing their income, generate employment opportunities, stimulate the export of processed food and reduce food wastage.
The government has also taken other measures such as allowing 100% FDI in trading including through e-commerce, in respect of food products manufactured in India to give a boost to the food processing sector.
Quick Facts about PM Kisan SAMPADA Yojana for UPSC
|Under which ministry of the government, the PM Kisan SAMPADA scheme lies?||Ministry of Food Processing & Industries|
|Which type of scheme is it? Centrally-sponsored or central-sector?||PM Kisan SAMPADA scheme is a central-sector scheme|
|How much fund is allocated to run the scheme?||Rs. 6000 crores|
|For how long will the scheme be run and under which finance commission cycle?||The scheme is planned for the year 2016-20 coterminous with the 14th finance commission cycle.|
|What are the expected results of the PM Kisan SAMPADA scheme?||
|PM Jeevan Jyoti Beema Yojana||PM Surkasha Bima Yojana||PM Employment Generation Programme|
|PM Mudra Yojana||PM Kisan Maan-Dhan Yojana||PM Ujjwala Yojana|
You can find UPSC Preparation materials and other articles through the links given in the table below: