Global Peace Index (GPI) 2020 has been released. 163 independent states and territories were ranked for their level of peacefulness. India climbed up 2 places to be ranked at 139 in GPI 2020. In 2019, it ranked 141. The article will provide some relevant facts about the index for the preparation of IAS Exam.
Who publishes the Global Peace Index (GPI)?
The Global Peace Index (GPI) is published by the Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP). This index is developed in partnership Economist Intelligence Unit, which collates data collected from various think tanks and experts from peace institutes.
GPI 2020 is the 14th edition of the global index.
Which country is ranked as the least peaceful country in the Global Peace Index 2020?
Afghanistan has been ranked as the least peaceful country, the second year in the row. It is followed by Syria, Iraq,
South Sudan and Yemen.
Which country is ranked as the most peaceful country in the Global Peace Index 2020?
Iceland is ranked as the most peaceful country in the Global Peace Index (2020). It was ranked the same in GPI 2019 too. The other countries ranked in the top as the most peaceful are New Zealand, Austria, Portugal, and
Key Highlights in Global Peace Index 2020
- Russia and Eurasia region are stated as the regions to show maximum improvement.
- North Ameria is stated as the only region to show improvement in all three domains:
- Ongoing Conflict
- Safety and Security
- The largest and second-largest deterioration was seen in South America and Central America and the Caribbean.
- Since 2008, peacefulness has declined by 2.5 percent.
- The largest number of protests, riots and strikes have been witnessed in Europe.
- Global Peace Index 2020 also focusses on the impact of COVID-19 on the peacefulness.
- In GPI, the focus has also been shared by the IEP’s newest research report – the Ecological Threat Register (ETR).
- In South Asia, Bhutan has been ranked as the most peaceful country. Its overall rank is 19 in GPI 2020. (The only country from outside of Europe and Asia-Pacific to be in top 20.)
- In South Asia, the largest number of events including riots, protests, strikes were seen in India between 2011 and 2018.
The above details would help candidates preparing for UPSC 2020.