The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) is a government scheme launched in 2016 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The scheme envisages the distribution of 50 million LPG connections to women below the poverty line. It was launched with a budget allocation of Rs. 80 billion. A total of 22 million LPG connections were distributed during the first year of its launch.
The Finance Minister of India, Nirmala Sitharaman made an announcement on 26th March, 2020 to provide free cylinders to the BPL (Below Poverty Line) families for the next three months under the Ujjwala scheme. This announcement was made as an initiative towards the loss caused by the Covid-19 outbreak in India.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Quick Facts:
|Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana|
|Date of Launching||1st May 2016|
|Launched By||PM Narendra Modi|
|Government Ministry||Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas|
Candidates can know the detailed information about the Pradhan Mantri Ujjawala Yojana on the Official Website (https://pmuy.gov.in/).
The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana is an important topic for the IAS Exam. Candidates can also download the PDF notes at the end of this article.
Benefits of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
As per the estimates of the World Health Organisation (WHO), about 5 lakh deaths in India occurred due to unclean cooking fuel. These deaths were caused mostly due to non-communicable diseases including heart disease, stroke, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and lung cancer. Providing LPG connections to families below the poverty line will ensure universal coverage of cooking gas in the country. The scheme can be a tool for women empowerment in that LPG connections and clean cooking fuel can reduce cooking time and effort, and in most of India, cooking is a responsibility shouldered solely by women. The scheme also provides employment to the rural youth in the supply chain of cooking gas.
A relief package worth Rs 1.70 lakh crore will also be provided by the government to tackle the financial difficulties arising from Covid-19 outbreak under the PM Garib Kalyan Scheme.
To know more about PM Garib Kalyan Yojana, refer to the linked page.
Some of the major benefits provided by Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana are:
- It provides five crore LPG connections to families below the poverty line.
- Financial support of Rs 1600 is provided by the scheme for each LPG connection for BPL households. The administrative cost of this support will be borne by the Government. This subsidy is meant for the security fee for the cylinder, pressure regulator, booklet, safety hose, and other fitting charges.
- Under the scheme, oil marketing companies also provide interest-free loans for refilling and purchasing stoves.
- The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana covers all the BPL families that come under all forms of distributorship, and distributes various sizes of cylinders (14.2 kg, 5 kg, etc.) as per the field situation.
- The benefits of this scheme are also available for the people of all Hilly States including the NE States (who are treated as ‘Priority States’).
- The scheme will effectively address several difficulties faced by the people in the States of Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Sikkim, Assam, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya and Tripura in accessing LPG for cooking purposes.
To know more about other government schemes, refer to the linked page.
Objectives of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana was launched for providing clean fuel to women below the poverty line. The use of unclean cooking fuel is harmful to human health. The aims of the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana are given below:
- To empower women and protect their health.
- To minimise health issues arising from the use of unclean fossil fuel and other fuel while cooking.
- To control indoor pollution from the use of fossil fuel which causes respiratory issues.
- To prevent degradation of the purity of the environment that is compromised by widespread usage of unclean cooking fuel.
Eligibility for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
Any applicant who fulfils the below-mentioned criteria is eligible to apply for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana:
- The applicant must be a woman aged above 18 years. She must also be a citizen of India.
- She should belong to a family below the poverty line and no one else from the household should own an LPG connection.
- The overall monthly income of the family should not exceed a certain limit that is prescribed by the UT/State Governments.
- The applicant’s name should be in the list of SECC-2011 and should also match with the information provided in the BPL database of the oil marketing companies.
- The applicant should not be registered under any other similar scheme provided by the government.
Apart from the above, the applicant should also submit a set of documents indicating her BPL status, identity, etc.
The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwana Yojana is implemented by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas. This scheme has become successful in establishing around 95.1 lakh LPG connections across 11 states in India.
Candidates should follow the latest developments in Current Affairs related to other government schemes for their UPSC 2020 preparation.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana:- Download PDF Here