Ministry for women and child development has collaborated with Facebook on November 19, 2019, to enhance digital literacy and online safety for women and children in India. The campaign categorized under the Global Literacy Program is named “We Think Digital”.
Women and children are a vital part of Indian society. Also, these are the most vulnerable sections of India.
Article 15(3) mentions the welfare of women and children and can be stated as “Nothing in this article shall prevent the State from making any special provision for women and children.”
This article provides a list of women empowerment schemes in India as listed under the Ministry of Women and Child Development. This is an important topic for UPSC and other government exams.
List of Major Women Empowerment schemes in India
The important women empowerment schemes in India are listed below:
|Women Empowerment scheme
|Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme
- To prevent gender-biased sex selective elimination
- To ensure survival & protection of the girl child
- To ensure education and participation of the girl child
|One-Stop Centre Scheme
- To provide support and assistance to women affected by violence, both in private and public spaces.
- To Facilitate/Assist in filing First Information Report (FIR/NCR)
- To provide psycho-social support and counseling to women/girl
|Women Helpline Scheme
- To provide toll-free 24-hours telecom service to women affected by violence.
- To facilitate crisis and non-crisis intervention through referral to the appropriate agencies such as police/Hospitals/Ambulance services/District Legal Service Authority (DLSA)/Protection Officer (PO)/OSC.
- To provide information about the appropriate support services, government schemes, and programs available to the woman affected by violence, in her particular situation within the local area in which she resides or is employed.
- To prevent the trafficking of women and children for commercial sexual exploitation.
- To facilitate the rescue of victims from the place of their exploitation and place them in safe custody.
- To provide rehabilitation services with both immediate and long-term to the victims by providing basic amenities/needs such as shelter, food, clothing, medical treatment including counseling, legal aid and guidance, and vocational training.
|Working Women Hostel
- To promote the availability of safe and conveniently located accommodation for working women.
- To provide accommodation to children of working women, up to the age of 18 years for girls and up to the age of 5 years for boys.
- To cater to the primary need for shelter, food, clothing, medical treatment, and care of women in distress.
- To provide women with legal aid and guidance.
|Support to Training and Employment Programme for Women (STEP)
- To provide skills that give employability to women.
- To benefit women in the age group of 16 and above in the country.
|Nari Shakti Puraskar
- To strengthen the place of women in society.
- To facilitate institutions that work towards the progress and development of women in society.
|Mahila Shakti Kendras (MSK)
- To create an environment for women where they have access to healthcare, quality, education, guidance, employment, etc.
- To facilitate these opportunities at the block and district level in the country.
- To facilitate safety and security for women at various levels.
- To ensure strict privacy and confidentiality of women’s identity and information.
- Provision for real-time intervention as far as possible
- To facilitate entrepreneurship opportunities online for women.
- To educate women on various aspects of online selling and helping them establish their venture.
The government of India has taken the safety and empowerment of women and children into serious consideration. The growing injustice towards women had to be minimized and these schemes are the solutions to the major problems related to women in India. Aspirants should also know that Women Empowerment Essay is a probable choice in UPSC Mains. So making use of these schemes, aspirants can easily draft a good Women Empowerment Essay.
Women Empowerment Essay PDF:-Download PDF Here
Candidates can find the general pattern of the Civil Service Exam by visiting the UPSC Syllabus 2020 page.