Nayi Roshni Scheme/Nai Roshni Scheme UPSC
- The Nai Roshni scheme is a leadership development programme launched by the Ministry Of Minority Affairs in 2012-13.
- The scheme has been implemented through NGOs, civil societies and government institutions.
- Minority women can apply for online as well
- Data on training modules is available for public domain.
- The scheme helps in fighting different social stigmas such as poverty.
- It empowers the minority women to stand up for their rights.
Training Modules under Nai Roshni
- Advocacy for Social and Behavioral Change
- Educational Empowerment
- Financial Systems
- Health and Hygiene
- Leadership of Women
- Legal Rights to Women
- Life Skills
- Swachh Bharat
- Muslims, Sikhs, Christians, Buddhists, Zoroastrians (Parsis) and Jains women belonging to all minorities notified under Section 2 (c) of the National Commission for Minorities Act, 1992 are the target group.
- However, to further increase the strength the mosaic of plurality in the society and bring about solidarity and unity through their own efforts to improve their lot, the scheme permits a mix of women from non-minority communities not exceeding 25% of a project proposal.
- Efforts should be made by the Organization so that a representative mix of women comes up from SCs/STs/OBCs.Also women with disabilities and other communities are included within this 25% group.
Evaluation of efficacy of Nai Roshni Scheme
- The main objective of the study was to evaluate the impact of scheme on minority and to identify the setbacks faced in the implementation of the scheme,
- The study covered 15 districts, 30 blocks, 87 villages, 27 NGOs spread over 8 States namely Assam, West Bengal, Punjab, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh.
- According to NITI Aayog, majority of the findings of the study indicate that the programme has been appreciated by majority of the segments of the population of the society and it has assisted in creating confidence among minority women. in developing leadership spirit in them.
- Trained women are utilizing their knowledge to help their families and neighbors in raising their essential demands and claims from various government authorities.
Recommendations of the Study
- Taking up more awareness Programmes about the scheme.
- Inclusion Of women from the general category. The scheme provides for the selection Of 25 non-minority women.
- Longer periods of training.
- Including Training modules on laws protecting interest on women.
- Including persons with Disabilities in the training module.