UPSC Exam Preparation: Topic of the Day – Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharata Abhiyan (PMGDISHA)
The 71st Survey on Education 2014, by the National Sample Survey Organisation (NSSO), indicates that only 6% of the 16.85 crore rural households have a computer. It opines that a significant number of these households are likely to be digitally illiterate. Therefore, in order to impart digital literacy to the people in the rural areas, free of cost, a digital literacy programme named Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharata Abhiyan was launched by the Government of India. Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharata Abhiyan is also popularly known as PMGDisha. Under the programme, the citizens in rural areas would be taught to operate a computer, smartphone, tablet etc, The knowledge of accessing the government services with the help of the internet, undertaking digital payments, writing and receiving emails, browsing the internet, searching for information etc would be imparted to the rural citizens.
- PMGDisha is being implemented under the Digital India Programme.
- It is one of the largest digital literacy programmes in the world.
Aim of PMGDisha:
The programme aims at providing access to education, knowledge, healthcare and information to the rural citizens.
- Digital literacy in the rural areas would open up avenues for generation of livelihood activities.
- It would promote financial inclusion through digital payments and bridge the digital divided persistent in the rural areas.
- The Scheme is applicable only for rural areas of the country.
- The beneficiary should be Digitally Illiterate
- One person from a household, aged between 14 to 60 years of age will be imparted training.
- Preference is given to the marginalized sections of the society like the divyangs (differently abled), Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Minorities, Below Poverty Line families etc,.
The Scheme envisages affiliating entities like NGOs/ Institutions/ Corporates, desirous of providing digital literacy training, as Training Partners with CSC-SPV subject to meeting prescribed norms.