The PM Vishwakarma Scheme was launched by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on the occasion of Vishwakarma Jayanti on September 17, 2023. This is an important scheme aimed at artisans and craftspeople who comprise a significant portion of India’s workforce. In this article, you can get all the details of the PM Vishwakarma Scheme, relevant for the GS paper II of the UPSC exam.
PM Vishwakarma Scheme
A substantial segment of India’s workforce consists of artisans and craftspeople who engage in manual work, frequently operating as self-employed individuals within the informal sector.
- These individuals, known as ‘Vishwakarmas,’ engage in traditional occupations such as Blacksmiths, Goldsmiths, Potters, Carpenters, and Sculptors.
- Skills are typically passed down through generations in a Guru-Shishya training model within families and informal artisan groups.
Objectives of PM Vishwakarma Scheme
- The scheme, ‘PM Vishwakarma,’ aims to provide government support to workers engaged in traditional crafts and skills, with a focus on economically marginalized and socially backward communities, especially Other Backward Classes (OBC) groups.
- This scheme will aim to improve the quality and market reach of products and services crafted by artisans and craftspeople.
- Its aim is to incorporate Vishwakarmas into both local and international value chains, thereby enhancing their socio-economic standing and overall quality of life.
Funding and Duration:
- PM Vishwakarma will be a Central Sector Scheme, fully financed by the Government of India, with an initial budget of Rs 13,000 crore.
- The scheme will be jointly administered by three key ministries:
- Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MoMSME)
- Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE)
- Department of Financial Services (DFS) under the Ministry of Finance (MoF), Government of India.
- MoMSME will serve as the nodal ministry for PM Vishwakarma.
- PM Vishwakarma will initially be implemented over a five-year period, up to the fiscal year 2027-28.
PM Vishwakarma Scheme Details
- Objectives of the Scheme:
- Enable recognition of artisans and craftspeople as Vishwakarma.
- Provide skill upgradation and training opportunities.
- Support access to modern tools.
- Facilitate easy access to collateral-free credit.
- Encourage digital transactions and empowerment.
- Create a platform for brand promotion and market linkages.
- The scheme provides end-to-end holistic support to artisans and craftspeople.
- It aims to preserve cultural practices and generational skills.
- The scheme seeks to integrate beneficiaries into the formal economy.
- Rollout will occur in rural and urban areas, with a focus on saturating districts in phases.
- Promotes empowerment of women and marginalized or under-served groups.
- Encourages awareness of insurance, pension, and health schemes.
- Coverage of Trades:
- Initially covers artisans and craftspeople involved in 18 traditional sectors namely:
- Boat Makers
- Hammer and Tool Kit Makers
- Sculptor, Stone breakers
- Cobblers (Shoesmiths/ Footwear artisans)
- Masons (Rajmistri)
- Basket/Mat/Broom Makers/Coir Weavers
- Doll & Toy Makers (Traditional)
- Garland makers
- Fishing Net Makes
PM Vishwakarma Scheme Eligibility
- Artisans or craftspersons engaged in one of the specified traditional trades.
- Minimum age of 18 years.
- Not availed loans under similar credit-based schemes in the past 5 years, except for MUDRA and SVANidhi beneficiaries who have fully repaid their loans.
- Registration and benefits restricted to one member per family.
- Government employees and their family members are not eligible.
Benefits under PM Vishwakarma
- It includes recognition, skill upgradation, toolkit incentives, credit support, digital transaction incentives, and marketing support.
- PM Vishwakarma Certificate and ID Card enable recognition and benefits under the scheme.
- Skill upgradation includes skill assessment, basic training, and advanced training. A stipend of Rs. 500/- per day will be provided during the training period.
- Toolkit incentive of up to ₹15,000 provided at the start of basic training.
- Credit support offers affordable loans for enterprise development. Beneficiaries will be provided with collateral-free credit support up to ₹1 lakh (first tranche) and ₹2 lakh (second tranche) at a concessional interest rate of 5%.
- Incentives for digital transactions to encourage digital payments.
- Marketing support for improving market linkages and branding of products.
PM Vishwakarma Scheme Significance
- Preservation of Cultural Heritage
- The PM Vishwakarma Scheme can play a pivotal role in preserving India’s rich cultural heritage.
- It ensures the continuation of traditional practices, generational skills, and the Guru-Shishya tradition.
- Empowering Artisans and Craftspeople
- The scheme offers comprehensive support to artisans and craftspeople, including those who are self-employed or planning small-scale ventures.
- It empowers these individuals by providing them with the tools, training, and recognition they need to thrive.
- Modernization and Formalization
- Through the scheme’s implementation, artisans in the informal sector have the opportunity to modernize their practices.
- They can upgrade their tools and transition into the formal economy as entrepreneurs, contributing to the nation’s growth.
- Inclusivity and Empowerment
- PM Vishwakarma promotes inclusivity by focusing on the empowerment of marginalized and under-served groups.
- It specifically targets Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Other Backward Classes (OBCs), Specially-abled individuals, Transgenders, residents of Northeastern states, Island Territories, and Hilly Areas.
- Social Security Awareness
- The scheme also prioritizes raising awareness about various social security schemes offered by both the central and state governments.
- Beneficiaries are encouraged to avail the benefits of various social security schemes of the central and state governments.
- Schemes like Prime Minister Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana, Prime Minister Suraksha Bima Yojana, Atal Pension Yojana, and Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-dhan Yojana will be highlighted.
- Enhanced Quality of Life
- By availing themselves of these social security benefits, it is expected that beneficiaries of PM Vishwakarma will experience an improved quality of life.
- These benefits provide a safety net and financial security for artisans and craftspeople, ensuring their well-being.
PM Vishwakarma Scheme:- Download PDF Here
|Atal Pension Yojana||PM-Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana|
|Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan||PM SVANidhi|
|Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME)||UPSC Mains 2023 Question Papers|