TABLE OF CONTENTS
A. GS1 Related Social Issues 1. Show collective will to build a New India, says Modi B. GS2 Related C. GS3 Related Internal Security 1. Assam, Manipur can now decide on AFSPA Environment and Ecology 1. Human-avifauna conflict continues to escalate in Uppalapadu Disaster Management 1. Living with the Deluge Science and Technology 1. MasterCard mulls using blockchain tech D. GS4 Related E. UPSC Prelims Practice Questions F. UPSC Mains Practice Questions
A. GS1 Related
- PM asks the nation to embrace ‘Bharat jodo’ slogan and reject ‘chaltha hai’ attitude
- In the Independence Day speech, Prime Minister Narendra Modi drafted out the extensive outlines of a “New India” that will be independent of communalism, casteism, terrorism, corruption and nepotism.
- The period between 1942-47 was a key one for India’s struggle for independence so should the period of 2017-22 be for creating a “New India” with the same collective will, says PM Modi.
B. GS2 Related
Nothing here for Today!!!
C. GS3 Related
- The Union Home Ministry is to give power to impose the ‘disturbed areas’ tag on Assam and Manipur.
- States will be the deciding authority to either carry on the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act or annul it.
- The AFSPA authorizes the Army and forces positioned in “disturbed areas” to execute anyone violating the rule and detain and search any sites without warrant.
- A non-natural haven with a diversity of waterfowl has been center of a human-wildlife conflict.
- Many promises from the state government convinced the residents of the village to admit the birds and not to shew them away. But then after two decades, residents are annoyed with the false promises from the government.
- The exotic spotbilled (or Grey) pelicans, painted storks, ibises and many other birds were seen in this region.
- PM declared Rs 2,000 crore package for post disaster management in the flood-affected Northeastern states.
- The series of flood disaster across the countries appeals for a shift in the focus from flood protection to flood governance.
- Rivers in the Northeast experience a sharp gradient along their course from Arunachal Pradesh and Bhutan to Assam’s floodplains thus carrying large amounts of sediments. When these get deposited reduces the river’s storage capacity along the channels. This in turn results in flood along the adjoining plains.
Flood protection methods
- Storage dams
- Dredging rivers and bank strengthening
- Diversion canals
- Floodplains and groundwater replenishment
Need of the hour
- Resilience across the affected areas through Flood governance
- Clean and safe Water and sanitation during the floods.
- Ensure access to health care and veterinary services.
- Due to the practice subsistence agriculture the land may remain swamped for a long duration in the monsoons. Hence correct irrigation services should be ensured.
- Reduce vulnerability
- Sustainable and balanced utilization of the resource
Strong bodies and authorities similar to that of Brahmaputra Board and flood control departments are the need of the hour. These bodies should be staffed with scientists to incorporate scientific approach in disaster management.
- Mastercard looks ahead for a clearance from the regulatory framework in India as it is looking forward to incorporate blockchain technology into its operations .
- Presently an inter-ministerial committee is the authority to look into the regulation of blockchain technology.
- It is the technology behind crypto-currencies.
- Each block comprises of a hash pointer that acts as a link to a previous block. Along with those it comprises of a timestamp and transaction data.
- Blockchains are resistant technologies to modification of the data.
D. GS4 Related
Nothing here for Today!!!
E. Practice Questions for UPSC Prelims Exam
Question 1. Which of the following statements are correct with respect to TAPI pipeline?
- The Turkmenistan–Afghanistan–Pakistan–India Pipeline (TAPI), also known as Trans-Afghanistan Pipeline
- It is a natural gas pipeline being developed by the Asian Development Bank
Select the correct options.
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- None of the above
Question 2. Consider the following statement with reference to Swadesh Darshan Scheme:
- Funding pattern of the program is 75:25 (Center:State)
- Ministry of tourism is the implementing agency
- It has two components – PRASAD and Swadeshi Darshan under its ambit.
Choose the correct statement.
- Only 1
- 2 and 3
- All are correct
Question 3. Choose the correct statement with reference to Kani maranjandu which was in news recently.
- It is a tree dwelling crab species
- It is a terrestrial crab species
- The species is named after Kani tribe in Kerala
- Both a and c
F. UPSC Mains Practice Questions
GS Paper II
- The repeated tabling to craft an All-India Judicial Service (AIJS) similar to that of the All India Services (AIS) is creating endless debate since the recommendation by Law Commission in the 1950s.” Examine.
GS Paper III
- Repeated occurrences of floods bring up the question to shift the focus from relief measures to building resilience in flood-prone areas. Discuss.
Also, check previous Daily News Analysis
“Proper Current Affairs preparation is the key to success in the UPSC- Civil Services Examination. We have now launched a comprehensive ‘Current Affairs Webinar’. Limited seats available. Click here to Know More.”