8th Theatre Olympics
- The 8th Theatre Olympics was inaugurated by Hon’ble Vice President of India, Shri Venkaiah Naidu in New Delhi.
- This edition of Theatre Olympics brought together around 25,000 artists under the theme “Flag of Friendship”.
- The 51-day long 8th Theatre Olympics, the biggest international theatre festival held in India for the first time.
Major Ports in India
- The major ports in India have recorded a growth of 4.77 per cent and together handled 679.35 Million Tonnes of cargo during the period April 2017 to March 2018 as against 648.39 Million Tonnes handled during the corresponding period of previous year.
- Cochin Port registered the highest growth of 16.52 per cent, followed by Paradip 14.68 per cent.
POSHAN Abhiyaan (National Nutrition Mission)
- Government of India has approved for setting up of National Nutrition Mission (NNM) on 30.11.2017, which aims to achieve improvement in nutritional status of Children, pregnant women and lactating mothers and reduce anemia among children and women.
- It strives to reduce the level of stunting, under-nutrition, anemia and low birth weight babies. It will create synergy, ensure better monitoring, issue alerts for timely action, and encourage States/UTs to perform, guide and supervise the line Ministries and the States/ UTs to achieve the targeted goals.
Scheme for Adolescent Girls
- The Government on 16.11.2017 approved continuation of the Scheme for Adolescent Girls for out of school adolescent girls of age 11-14 years for a period of one year i.e. up to 30.11.2018.
- The scheme aims at providing supplementary nutrition containing 600 calories, 18-20 grams of protein and micronutrients per beneficiary per day for 300 days in a year, motivating out of school girls to go back to formal schooling or skill training under non-nutrition component of the scheme.
- The cost norms for nutrition have also been revised from existing rates of Rs.5.00 per beneficiary per day to Rs.9.5 per beneficiary per day. Government has also approved phased expansion and universalisation of the Scheme for Adolescent Girls i.e. in additional 303 districts in 2017-18 and the remaining districts in 2018-19 with the simultaneous phasing out of Kishori Shakti Yojana.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.