Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
Virtual reality centre
- The Chief of the Naval Staff (Admiral Sunil Lanba) inaugurated the maiden ‘state-of-the-art’ Virtual Reality Centre (VRC) at the Directorate of Naval Design (Surface Ship Group).
- This centre would provide a major boost to the Indigenous warship design capabilities of Indian Navy, providing impetus to self-reliance and greater fillip to warship construction under “Make in India” initiative of the Indian government.
- This project will facilitate collaborative design reviews for continuous interaction between the designers and the end users to improve the design and ergonomics onboard warships.
- Directorate of Naval Design (Surface Ship Group) had a humble beginning in the 1960s and since then has made major contributions towards indigenous warship design capabilities of the Indian Navy improving self-reliance for warship design and construction.
- The multi-disciplinary team has successfully developed 19 warship designs on which more than 90 platforms have been constructed to date.
Industrial growth was 0.1 percent in February 2019
- The Quick Estimates of Index of Industrial Production (IIP) with base 2011-12 for the month of February 2019stands at 127.5, which is 0.1 percent higher as compared to the level in the month of February 2018.
- The cumulative growth for the period April-February 2018-19 over the corresponding period of the previous year stands at 4.0 percent.
- The Indices of Industrial Production for the Mining, Manufacturing and Electricity sectors for the month of February 2019 stand at 112.3, 129.3 and 137.7 respectively, with the corresponding growth rates of 2.0 percent, (-) 0.3 percent and 1.2 percent as compared to February 2018 (Statement I). The cumulative growth in these three sectors during April-February 2018-19 over the corresponding period of 2017-18 has been 3.0 percent, 3.8 percent and 5.5 percent respectively.
- In terms of industries, ten out of the twenty-three industry groups (as per 2-digit NIC-2008) in the manufacturing sector have shown positive growth during the month of February 2019 as compared to the corresponding month of the previous year (Statement II).
- The industry group ‘Manufacture of wearing apparel’ has shown the highest positive growth of 19.3 percent followed by 13.8 percent in ‘Manufacture of food products’ and 8.3 percent in ‘Manufacture of wood and products of wood and cork, except furniture; manufacture of articles of straw and plaiting materials’. On the other hand, the industry group ‘Manufacture of machinery and equipment n.e.c.’ has shown the highest negative growth of (-) 12.8 percent followed by (-) 10.7 percent in ‘Manufacture of fabricated metal products, except machinery and equipment’ and (-) 9.7 in ‘Manufacture of furniture’.
- As per Use-based classification, the growth rates in February 2019 over February 2018 are 1.2 percent in Primary goods, (-) 8.8 percent in Capital goods, (-) 4.9 percent in Intermediate goods and 2.4 percent in Infrastructure/ Construction Goods (Statement III). The Consumer durables and Consumer non-durables have recorded growth of 1.2 percent and 4.3 percent respectively.