Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam.
Make in India in Defence
- Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh emphasised the need to progressively reduce dependence on foreign manufacturers and indigenously develop comprehensive capabilities in the defence sector.
- Shri Rajnath Singh also referred to the Technology Development Fund (TDF) Scheme which has been established under the aegis of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) to promote self-reliance in Defence Technology as part of ‘Make in India’ initiative.
‘Technology Development Fund (TDF)’ scheme
- The ‘Technology Development Fund (TDF)’ scheme has been set up by the Government of India under the ‘Make in India’ initiative.
- This is to create an eco-system for enhancing cutting edge technology capability by inculcating R&D culture in Industry for building indigenous state-of-the-art systems for defence applications.
- Technology Development Fund (TDF) Scheme aims for the development of defence and dual-use technologies that are currently not available with the Indian defence industry or have not been developed so far.
National Sports Awards -2019
- A large number of nominations were received for these awards this year (2019), which were considered by the Selection Committees.
About the awards
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award is given for the spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson over a period of four year
- Arjuna Award is given for consistently outstanding performance for four years
- Dronacharya Award for coaches is given for producing medal winners at prestigious International sports events.
- Dhyan Chand Award for lifetime contribution to sports development
- Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar is given to the corporate entities (both in the private and public sector) and individuals who have played a visible role in the area of sports promotion and development.
- Overall top performing university in inter-university tournaments is given MaulanaAbulKalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy.
Chandrayaan-2 inserted in lunar orbit
- The second moon mission of India, the Chandrayaan-2 has been precisely inserted in defined orbit.
About Chandrayaan 2
- Chandrayaan 2 is an Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) mission comprising an orbiter and a soft lander ‘Vikram’ carrying a rover ‘Pragyan’.
- The primary objective of Chandrayaan 2 is to demonstrate the ability to soft-land on the lunar surface and operate a robotic rover on the surface.
- Scientific goals include studies of lunar topography, mineralogy, elemental abundance, the lunar exosphere, and signatures of hydroxyl and water ice.
- The soft landing will be near the lunar South Pole.
Read previous ‘Best of PIB’ here.