Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
Successful Test Firing of Long-Range Missile Agni V
Context: Agni V, a long-range surface-to-surface Nuclear Capable Ballistic missile, was successfully launched from a canister on a road-mobile launcher at the Dr Abdul Kalam Island off the coast of Odisha
- It is an intercontinental ballistic missile
- It is three-stage solid propellant nuclear-capable missile
- It is a surface-to-surface missile
- Developed by DRDO
- Range: 5500-5800km
- Engine : 3 stage solid fuel
- Capable of carrying nuclear warheads of over one tonne
- It carries Multiple Independently Targetable Re-entry Vehicles (MIRV) payloads. A single MIRV equipped missile that can deliver multiple warheads at different targets.
- It is also a fire and forget missile, which once fired cannot be stopped, except by interceptor missile which only US, Russia and Israel have.
Context: Ms. Preeti Sudan, Secretary (HFW) inaugurated the ‘India Day’, an official side event organized jointly by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, and the development partners in the run up to the Partners’ Forum 2018.
- India Day event is aimed to reflect on the journey of the RMNCH+A(reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent) programme and to share and learn from the good practices and innovations implemented by different States/UTs and organisations to address various health challenges around maternal and child health in order to sustain progress on global goals.
- RMNCH+A is aligned with the Global Strategy for Women’s, Children’s and Adolescents’ Health and its key programming tenets articulating well-defined targets to end preventable deaths, ensure health and well-being and expand enabling environments, popularly known as the Survive, Thrive and Transform approach.
Year End Review 2018 – MNRE
- India attains global 4th and 5th positions in wind and solar power installed capacities; India now at 5th global position for overall installed renewable energy capacity.
- A total of 101.83 billion units of power were generated in the country during the year 2017-18 from renewable energy
- The Government has declared the trajectory of bidding 60 GW capacity of solar energy and 20 GW capacity of wind energy by March 2020, leaving two years’ time for execution of projects.
Sahitya Akademi Award
Context: Shri Shyam Sundar Besrahas been conferred the coveted Sahitya Akademi Award. He has been awarded for his novel “Marom” in Santhali language which is primarily based upon natural, social, economic and political conditions of Santhal Pargana.
The novel highlights the situation emerged after the two main industrial development of the Santhal area after Independence i.e Masanjore Dam at Dumka and Railway locomotive workshop at Chittaranjan.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.