Yes, Agni is a surface to surface missile. The first Agni series missile, Agni-1, was tested in the year 1989, with a range of 1000 Km. There are 5 Agni series of missiles. The maximum range of Agni series of missiles is that of Agni-5 with a range of 5000 Km. With this range, India can target Beijing, capital of China. This missile is developed by the Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO).
Aspirants would find this topic very helpful in the IAS Exam.
What is the Name of India’s Surface to Surface missile?
There are different surface to surface missiles developed by India.
- Prithvi series of missiles – Min Range 150 Km and Max range is around 500 Km.
- Agni series of missiles – Min Range 700 km and max range is around 5000 Km.
- Nirbhay – Subsonic Cruise missile with a range of 1000 km
- Brahmos – Jointly Developed with Russia. It is the fastest cruise missile in the world with a range of around 300 Km.
- Prahar – This is a missile with a range of 150 km.
Except for Brahmos, all the above missiles are developed indigenously by DRDO. Brahmos is developed by Brahmos Aerospace, a joint venture of DRDO and NPO Mashinostroyenia (NPOM) of Russia.
Is Brahmos a Surface to Surface missile?
Brahmos Missile has 3 different variants.
- Surface to Surface missile.
- Ship variant – missile which can be launched from Warships
- Airborne variant – Brahmos can be launched from Fighter Aircrafts. Recently India successfully test-fired Brahmos from Sukhoi 30 Mki.
Which Country has the Fastest Missile in the World?
India and Russia has the fastest missile in the world. Brahmos is considered as the fastest missile in the world with a speed of 2.8 Mach. They are in process of developing a hypersonic version of Brahmos missile.
The above details would help candidates preparing for UPSC 2020.