Indo-US Delegation Meets for Defence Cooperation
- As part of lndo-US Bilateral Defence Cooperation, the 8th Defence Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI) Inter Agency Task Force Meeting was held.
- The meeting was co-chaired by Deputy Chief of Integrated Defence Staff Vice Admiral A K Jain and Acting Director, International Cooperation Mr Matthew Warren.
- The DTTI was initiated as an idea by former US Secretary of Defence Dr Ashton Carter in 2012.
- The aim of DTTI is to bring sustained leadership focus to the bilateral defence trade relationship and create opportunities for co-production and co-development of defence equipment.
- The fact that the US has declared India as a major defence partner under the National Defence Authorisation Act in 2017 has given an impetus to the DTTI.
National Technology Centre for Ports, Waterways and Coasts
- Shri Nitin Gadkari, Minister for Road Transport & Highways laid the foundation stone for setting up of a National Technology Centre for Ports, Waterways and Coasts (NTCPWC), at IIT Chennai.
- NTCPWC, being set up under the Shipping Ministry’s flagship programme Sagarmala, will act as a technology arm of the Ministry of Shipping for providing engineering and technological inputs and support for Ports, Inland Waterways Authority of India and other institutions.
- It will carry on applied research in the areas of 2D and 3D Modelling of ocean, coastal and estuarine flows, sediment transport and morphodynamics..
- NTCPWC is being set up at a cost of Rs 70.53 crore to be shared by Ministry of Shipping, IWAI and the Major Ports.
- The setting up of NTCPWC would give a boost to the development of indigenous technology relevant to the port and maritime sector in India.
- This would also be a major shot in the arm for the Government’s ‘Make in India” programme, and provide a push to its Sagar Mala programme.
International Conference on Sustainable Biofuels 2018
- It is a two- day International Conference on Sustainable Biofuels is jointly being organized by Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of India on behalf of Mission Innovation and Biofuture Platform at the Stein Auditorium, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi.
- The event will bring together experts from Biofuels sector to take stock of current knowledge, share information and best practices, and build consensus on the actions most needed to move forward.
- Mission Innovation (MI) is a global initiative of 22 countries and the European Union to dramatically accelerate global clean energy innovation. As part of the initiative, participating countries have committed to double Clean Energy Research and Development investments over five years.
- The Sustainable Biofuel is one of the Seven Mission Innovation Challenges and India Co-leads this along with other countries Brazil, Canada and China.
- SRIJAN stands for Station Rejuvenation through Joint ActioN.
- It is an idea competition for 635 Station Development on Indian Railways, has been launched at MyGov portal.
- Indian Railway Stations Development Corporation Limited (IRSDC) has also launched competition through Mygov portal for IRSDC logo and tagline.
- The winner for logo competition will get cash prize of Rs 75,000/-and for tagline also will get Rs 75,000/-.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.