Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
Admiral Christophe Prazuck, Chief of the Naval Staff, French Navy is visiting India from 06 Jan 19 in conjunction with Raisina Dialogue (08-09 Jan 19).
About Raisina Dialogue:
- Raisina Dialogue is an annual conference held in New Delhi. It is envisioned to be India’s flagship conference of geopolitics and geo-economics.
- The name of conference comes from Raisina Hill which is the elevation in New Delhi where presidential palace of India, Rashtrapati Bhavan is located.
- It is premeditated to explore prospects and opportunities for Asian integration and Asia’s integration with the bigger world.
- It is an asserted on India’s significant role in the Indian Ocean Region and how India could build a stable regional and world order along with its partners.
- It is organized on the lines of the Shangri-La Dialogue held in Singapore.
- It is structured as a multi-stakeholder, cross-sectorial conclave, involving policy and decision makers, including cabinet ministers from various Governments, high-level Government officials and policy practitioners, leading personalities from business and industry etc.
About the visit:
- The visit aims to consolidate bilateral naval relations between India and France, as also to explore new avenues for naval cooperation.
- A range of issues of mutual interest to both navies, encompassing maritime operations, training, logistics and maintenance would be discussed during these meetings.
Government notifies High-Level committee for implementation of Clause 6 of Assam Accord
- Government has notified the High Level Committee (HLC) for implementation of Clause 6 of Assam Accord. Committee has been given a broad mandate.
- It is headed by Shri M.P. Bezbarauah and includes eminent Assamese persons from different fields.
- The Committee will submit its report within 6 months from the date of notification.
- The State Government of Assam will provide necessary administrative and logistic support to the Committee.
The Terms of Reference for the Committee are as under:
- The Committee will examine the effectiveness of actions taken since 1985 to implement Clause 6 of the Assam Accord.
- The Committee will hold discussions with various stakeholders including social organizations, legal and constitutional experts, eminent persons from the field of art, culture and literature, conservationists, economists, linguists and sociologists.
- The Committee will assess the appropriate level of reservation of seats in Assam Legislative Assembly and local bodies for the Assamese people.
- The Committee will also suggest measures to be taken to protect Assamese and other indigenous languages of Assam.
- The Committee will recommend the appropriate level of reservations in employment under the Government of Assam for the Assamese people.
- The Committee may suggest any other measures as may be necessary to protect, preserve and promote cultural, social, linguistic identity and heritage of the Assamese people.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.