Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
9th National Voters’ Day
The country will celebrate the 9th National Voters’ Day (NVD) on 25th January 2019 at more than six lakh locations covering around ten lakh Polling Stations across the country. New Voters shall be felicitated and handed over their EPIC (Elector Photo Identity Card) in the NVD function. And also My Vote Matters, a Quarterly Magazine will be launched on the occasion.
‘No Voter to be Left Behind’ has been selected as the theme for the NVD.
About National Voters Day:
- The National Voters’ Day (NVD) is celebrated all over the country on January 25 every year since 2011 to mark the Foundation day of Election Commission of India, which was established on 25th January 1950.
- The main purpose of the NVD celebration is to encourage, facilitate and maximize the enrollment, especially for the new voters.
- Dedicated to the voters of the country, the Day is utilized to spread awareness among voters for promoting informed participation in the electoral process.
International conference on ‘making our elections inclusive and accessible’
The Chief Election Commissioner of India, Shri Sunil Arora and Election Commissioner Shri Ashok Lavasa inaugurated an International Conference on ‘Making our Elections Inclusive and Accessible’. ECI is hosting the International Conference on the occasion of 9th National Voters Day which is observed on 25th January every year.
- The international delegates have also been invited to attend the National Voters Day celebrations viz. Bangladesh, Bhutan, Kazakhstan, Maldives, Russia & Sri Lanka and Heads/Senior Representatives of International Organisations viz. Malaysian Commonwealth Studies Centre, U.K.; International Centre for Parliamentary Studies, U.K. and International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (IDEA).
Importance of election in democracy:
- Free, fair, transparent, credible and ethical elections are critical to the legitimacy of a democratic government.
- It is imperative that the voice of all categories of voters is included in democratic representation.
- Inclusive elections coupled with characteristics such as transparency, accountability and competitiveness add to the strength of democratic polity.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.