July 22nd, 2020 PIB:- Download PDF Here
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Vriksharopan Abhiyan 2. Comet NEOWISE 3. G20 Digital Ministers’ Meet 4. International Union of Railways (UIC)
Union Home Minister to launch Vriksharopan Abhiyan.
About the Vriksharopan Abhiyan:
- It is organised by the Coal Ministry.
- It is a large-scale plantation drive involving all coal/lignite PSUs.
- Going Green is the key thrust area of the coal sector involving maximization of green cover through ecological reclamation of mined-out areas and overburden dumps, the plantation in and around mines and avenue plantation at suitable places.
This is after many years that a comet can be seen with the naked eye in the earth’s night sky.
- Comet Neowise is officially known as C/2020F3.
- It is the brightest comet that can be seen in the sky and will be visible across the globe as it is closest to the earth these days.
- The Neowise, once disappears, will be visible only after 6800 years.
- ‘Comet Neowise’ was first spotted by NASA’s spacecraft mission Near-Earth Object Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (NEOWISE) on 27 March 2020 and hence the name NEOWISE.
What is a comet?
A comet is an icy small body that consists mostly of rocky materials, dust and ice. As they come closer to the sun there is the evaporation of volatile contents from these comets. When they start melting, the particles start glowing by the reflected sunlight. This makes the ‘dust tail’ of comets.
Union Minister for Electronics and Information Technology represented India during this virtual meeting.
About the G20 Digital Ministers’ Meet:
- A virtual meeting of G20 Digital Economy Ministers hosted by Saudi Arabia took place.
- Saudi Arabia is holding the presidency of the G20.
- The Digital Economy Ministers Meeting took place as part of the Sherpa Track for the G20 Leaders’ Summit 2020.
- Consultations for the annual G20 meeting are conducted through three tracks. Government discussions take place under the Finance and Sherpa Tracks. Civil society organizations participate through Engagement Groups.
- The Sherpa Track includes meetings of Ministers and relevant senior officials focused on socioeconomic issues such as agriculture, anti-corruption, climate, digital economy, education, employment, energy, environment, health, tourism, trade and investment.
- The Saudi Arabian Presidency has selected the theme, “Realizing Opportunities of the 21st Century For All”.
Director-General of the Railway Protection Force (RPF) nominated as the Vice-Chairman of the UIC Security Platform.
- Arun Kumar, DG, RPF has been nominated as the Vice Chairman of the UIC Security Platform for the time period July 2020 to July 2022.
About the International Union of Railways:
- Also known as the Union Internationale Des Chemins (UIC), the International Union of Railways is headquartered in Paris, France.
- The UIC is the worldwide professional association representing the railway sector and promoting rail transport.
- The UIC is the association for technical cooperation amongst railways and coordinates the sector’s position as it negotiates its evolving relationship with the supply industry and research and develops needs in order to draw full advantage of potential interest to railway companies.
- The UIC’s chief mission is to promote rail transport at a global level with the objective of optimally meeting current and future challenges of mobility and sustainable development.
- It was established in 1922.
- On behalf of the Indian Railways, the RPF has been an active member of the UIC.
- UIC Security Platform:
- The UIC Security Platform is empowered to develop and formulate analysis and policy positions on behalf of the rail sector in matters relating to the security of persons, property and installations.
- The security platform promotes the exchange of information and experience among the security agencies of UIC members and proposes common interest projects and activities in the field of railway security as dictated by the requirement of members or external events.
- The COVID-19 Task Force set up by the UIC security platform has proved to be very useful in exchange of ideas, precautions to be taken, restoration efforts and experience sharing during the current pandemic.
Read previous PIB here.
July 22nd, 2020 PIB:- Download PDF Here