Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
Nuclear Power Station
- There have been sporadic protests by a section of the locals against setting up of the nuclear power plant at Jaitapur.
- The current status of Jaitapur Nuclear Power Project (JNPP) is as follows:
- Land for the project and residential township has been acquired.
- Agreement for Rehabilitation and Resettlement (R&R) package has been signed between Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd. (NPCIL) and the State Government, and is being implemented.
- Statutory Environmental and Costal Regulation Zone (CRZ) clearances have been obtained from MoEF&CC.
- Site infrastructure and technology independent site investigation works are in progress at various stages.
- Discussions of NPCIL with EDF on Techno-Commercial Proposal (TCP) for setting up 6 EPR units to arrive at a project proposal, in line with the Industrial Way Forward Agreement (IWFA) are in progress.
- Neighbourhood welfare and Public Awareness activities are in progress.
- Nuclear power is clean and carbon free energy with huge potential that can provide the country long term energy security in a sustainable manner. Considering the huge and growing electricity demand of the country, nuclear power projects including Jaitapur will therefore be pursued.
Seats of Haj
- As per the guidelines approved by the Supreme Court of India, the number of seats allocated on the recommendations of the dignitaries are limited to the following:
- The President of India – 100 seats
- The Vice-President – 75 seats
- The Prime Minister – 75 seats
- Ministry of External Affairs – 50 seats
- Haj Committee of India – 200 seats
- Month of September to be celebrated as National Nutrition Month every year.
- The Government of India has set-up POSHAN Abhiyaan (National Nutrition Mission) which was launched by the Hon’ble Prime Minister on 8thMarch, 2018 from Jhunjhunu, Rajasthan.
- The programme through use of technology, a targeted approach and convergence strives to reduce the level of Stunting, Under-nutrition, Anemia and Low Birth Weight in Children, as also, focus on Adolescent Girls, Pregnant Women & Lactating Mothers, thus holistically addressing malnutrition.
- To ensure service delivery and interventions by use of technology, behavioural change through convergence and lays-down specific targets to be achieved across different monitoring parameters over the next few years.
- To ensure a holistic approach, all 36 States/UTs and 718 districts will be covered in a phased manner by the year 2020. Never before has nutrition been given such prominence at the highest level in the country.
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development has developed a Caller Tune and Ring Tone to popularize and create a connect with the Abhiyaan’s goal of Sahi Poshan Desh Roshan.
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development sought assistance from the Ministry of AYUSH for preparing the Yoga guidelines for:
- Adolescent Girls
- Pregnant Ladies
- Lactating Mothers and
- Children within 3-6 years of age.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.
|Nuclear Reactor||National Nutrition Strategy|