Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam.
K Natarajan Takes Over as DG of Indian Coast Guard
- Shri Krishnaswamy Natarajan took over as 23rd chief of Indian Coast Guard.
Indian Coast Guard
- The Indian Coast Guard is a multi-mission organization, conducting round-the-year real-life operations at sea. Despite being relatively small, it has a wide range of task capabilities for both surface and air operations.
- The organization is headed by the Director General Indian Coast Guard (DGICG) exercising his overall command and superintendence from the Coast Guard Headquarters (CGHQ) located at New Delhi.
- At CGHQ, he is assisted by four Deputy Director Generals of the rank of Inspector General, and other senior officers heading various staff divisions.
- For effective command and control, the Maritime Zones of India are divided into five Coast Guard Regions, namely, North-West, West, East, North-East and Andaman & Nicobar, with the respective Regional Headquarters.
- The Coast Guard Regions are commanded by Officers of the rank of Inspector General.
Central Team to Review Japanese Encephalitis (JE)
In view of the recent reported Japanese Encephalitis (JE) cases in Assam, Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare has dispatched a central team to review the Japanese Encephalitis (JE) situation in the State.
- Japanese Encephalitis is vector-borne encephalitis transmitted by Culex groups of mosquitoes.
- These mosquitoes breed mainly in rice fields and large water bodies rich in aquatic vegetations.
- Migratory birds along with pigs in the community play an important role in the transmission of JE from one area to other areas.
Preservation of country’s cinematic heritage
- Shri Javadekar reviewed the Ministry’s prestigious project of ‘National Film Heritage Mission’, and various activities undertaken under this project.
National Film Heritage Mission
- The mission has been launched in order to preserve, conserve, digitize and restore rich cinematic heritage of the country.
- National Film Archive of India (NFAI) is the nodal organization.
- 41 crore has been allotted towards implementation of the project.
|Japanese Encephalitis||Indian Coast Guard Ships|
|National Security Doctrine||Cyclone Fani: RSTV – In Depth|
Read previous ‘Best of PIB’ here.